Pointe Shoe Darning Service

Can anyone recommend a good (and fast) pointe shoe darning service? The one I previously used is no longer in service and my eyesight is too poor to do the job myself. Alternatively has anyone used the glue on crochet style tips and are they as good? I am in a panic as my d's feet have done their usual trick of growing just before start of summer schools - all suggestions gratefully received!!

How old is she? Can you not encourage her to darn her own as it isn't to do with neatness of stitching but to give friction?

Have never used stitched tips but tried stick on suede ones and they always come away at edges.

I have contacted my friend from this forum who offers this service and she has given me permission to message you her email which I've done. My eldest has darned all her own shoes since the age of 15. Youngest, aged 14 sews all her own ribbons and is planning to darn her new shoes this summer when she has more time. I can't wait to relinquish this job!

• Like 2

Balletmumfor2 thank you both for the contact and for the suggestion that she can learn to do them herself :) . I will get her to practice on an old pair

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my first pair of point shoes at 11, my mum showed me how to darn them the first time and then that was my responsibility. Just like doing my own hair from about 9. I remember watching a TV documentary about dancers preparing for a show and saw the dancers doing their hair and sewing shoes. I remember being fascinated and asked mum whether all dancers did their own and she said of course. From that moment on I learnt how to do hair and then shoes.

• Like 2

Can anyone recommend a good (and fast) pointe shoe darning service? The one I previously used is no longer in service and my eyesight is too poor to do the job myself. Alternatively has anyone used the glue on crochet style tips and are they as good? I am in a panic as my d's feet have done their usual trick of growing just before start of summer schools - all suggestions gratefully received!!

DD has tried the glue on crochet style tips and found that the edges quickly started coming away from the platform. I tried using more glue but that didn't work. They are also expensive compared with darning. DD used glue on suede tips or nothing on her pointe shoes until this year.

Now for mother confession time, I did teach DD how to sew ribbons and elastics on her ballet shoes years ago but it took her ages and she found it very frustrating. Also the ribbons/elastics were never as secure as when I sewed them on. Her favourite trick was to present me with a pair of shoes just before going to bed (usually past her bedtime) and announce that she needed them for tomorrow! Unsurprisingly I ended up sewing all of them and resorted to using the sewing machine. However she moved to full time vocational school at the beginning of this year and now not only sews all her ribbons and elastics on but also darns around the platform (beautifully) and sends me photos.

Although I had warned her that she would have to do this task I'm amazed at how well she has done considering she going through one pair of pointe shoes a week and is living independently away from home on the other side of the world!

• Like 5

Hi

Can I ask what method you all prefer please? :)

The first pair I've done I did from a YouTube video which was a kind of cross stitch across the whole toe platform

Other videos just showed cutting the platform satin off then darning the edges

When I got my first pair of point shoes at 11, my mum showed me how to darn them the first time and then that was my responsibility. Just like doing my own hair from about 9. I remember watching a TV documentary about dancers preparing for a show and saw the dancers doing their hair and sewing shoes. I remember being fascinated and asked mum whether all dancers did their own and she said of course. From that moment on I learnt how to do hair and then shoes.

and that's exactly the problem Harwel... pity my dd as she has me for a mother. If she can't figure it out herself on youtube she has had it. Domestic goddess not.