Pirouettes

swanprincess

Hello...

I'm feeling somewhat baffled with regards to pirouettes. My teacher on Tuesday said that a releve should initiate the turn- so the foot moves beneath you as you releve to demi pointe to begin the turn. Previously, I had taken a strong rise into the turn- so using sufficient force to get round, but without the "snatching" action of a releve. My teacher seemed horrified that I didn't know pirouettes should be from releve- but I find that method harder, is it just that I've got used to turning without a releve, instead rising to pointe/demi pointe, or is it common knowledge that pirouettes are from releve? Hope that's not too confusing :P

Edited by swanprincess

I think both can be used! The snatching/springing action is to get your weight centred, your foot underneath you. If you just rise (eg on left foot) your weight could be slightly too far over that leg (in this case left) & if you're doing a pirouette on pointe then you might need the releve action to get you onto pointe & weight in the right place. However, I know what you mean about the strong rise, I think personally the releve action can have too much force & I know I prefer to rise with a very slight releve (push up?). Not sure if there's an actual definite way!

• Like 1

It's all to do with schooling/training and different teachers' methods or approaches. My one teacher was an advocate of the releve method, the argument being that it is easier to pull your foot underneath your centre of gravity, than it is to move your entire body over your base of support. She also cited the pirouette on pointe where you would have to releve. Personally I don't specify with my pupils, as long as their pirouette is controlled! 

• Like 1

It often depends on the preparation position and what comes next!  For one pirouette, whetherit is  single, double or multiple turns, a strong rise may work better.  But for a series of turns on one foot, e.g. fouettés or boys sequence of tours with the leg in second, a relevé will keep you centered better.

I get exactly what you mean, I find it really hard to do a releve and then turn. One thing I do know about pirouettes is they are a lot easier if you turn out the working leg at the knee. This means you have more power to get round! This probably doesn't help!!

I used to always do the releve 'wrong'. Then I attended extra classes with another school and they taught me to 'snatch' more, not just a 'rise'. This is because when you do partner work and the boy spins you around then it would be harder for him if your body weight isn't central. I found it difficult to control for a number of weeks but now I can do it and it is a lot easier and I can balance for longer. You just have to go backwards before you go forwards for a bit.

• Like 1