William Forsythe lecture-demo at PNB, March 11

I stayed up to watch this streaming, doggedly determined to see it to the end, but didn’t quite make it that far as you'll see.

The broadcast opened witb PNB's AD Peter Boal conducting a longish  interview with a relaxed and chatty Forsythe, who revealed that he had started his dance training - at the advanced age of 17 – only because he wanted to dance in musicals.  A teacher advised him to give it up as, in her opinion,  he wasn't going to make it, but swiftly changed her mind when she saw a piece of choreography he had created for his fellow students. He never really looked back after that.  It was evident from what he said that he regarded his time as AD of Paris Opera Ballet as the high spot of his career - the dancers he worked with then - Guillem, Hilaire , Guerin etc. - were extraordinarily and memorably gifted; and he felt blessed to be creating for them.

Then he rehearsed part of a  programme of his works titled 'The Vertiginous Thrill of Forsythe' which PNB is performing this week in Seattle (opening tonight)  This was a section  from his 'New Suite', a set of  exquisitely shapely pas-de-deux (to Handel's Concerti Grossi ) performed simultaneously by three couples; it was quite beautiful, both fluid and at the same time almost mathematically formal  i hope some day one of our UK companies  will acquire it so that we’ll have a chance to see it here (either that or - better still - that PNB will favour us with a visit and we can see them do it). Forsythe's rehearsing style was relaxed but detailed; for example, taking time to instruct a male dancer on the precise way to move his head as part of an already intricate turning step.

I longed to stay awake to see the whole of the streaming, but I think it was nearing 3 am when my head abruptly  banged down on my desk as as sleep overtook without warning -  Mother Nature's less than gentle way of telling me I needed to go to bed. I obeyed, but at least I drifted off  gently to some very pleasant dreams.

• Like 2

This was a section  from his 'New Suite', a set of  exquisitely shapely pas-de-deux (to Handel's Concerti Grossi ) performed simultaneously by three couples; it was quite beautiful, both fluid and at the same time almost mathematically formal  i hope some day one of our UK companies  will acquire it so that we’ll have a chance to see it here (either that or - better still - that PNB will favour us with a visit and we can see them do it).

Dresden Semperoper Ballet is performing New Suite in July of 2016  (on a program with Theme and Variations and a piece by Mats Ek), if you're looking for a performance that's closer than Seattle.