ISTD for adults?

beckyl

I possibly have a lead on taking some ISTD classes (I think I probably am about level 4.) I want to do syllabus work but am anxious that I might be placed in a class with a bunch of 10-11 year olds! I'm also planning to do some modern at ISTD level (possibly above level 4 as my modern is much stronger!)

My questions are:

- Would it be suitable to take ISTD classes as an adult?

- What is the average age for taking ISTD exams at grade 4?

Also could anyone point me in the direction of a suitable sky blue leotard for um... adults? I can only find children's and I am required to wear sky blue. I'm talking one with some kind of lining, full, but preferably shelf-lined? I own <a href="http://getdancewear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/c/mc110_3.jpg">this</a< do you think this could be suitable with the addition of a belt?

Hi beckyl!  Not sure if I can help re: ISTD  but I am sure some of the better informed balletcoforum members will chip in however with reference to adult leotards Porselli has a Sky Blue Leotard with attached skirt in the sale at the moment:

Wear Moi Olga

https://dancewear.co.uk/products/details&prodid=848

Hope this helps :)

Edited by lartiste

When I did syllabus classes, one of the RAD 6 class I did was 13 year old girls, and one uni student. This didn't worry me, but the young girls were understandably cautious when I first started. They quickly realised that I was just there to take class and they soon asked me to stand where they could copy me. I'd been dancing longer than they had been alive and I knew the syllabus well, which they liked. They also used to like to dance with me from the corner, but I never knew why as I'm not renowned for my travelling ability. Assuming you are prepared to dance with teenagers, I think the most difficult problem you might face is getting the teacher to accept you in the class. In my case, the school was running classes in two locations, but the one I went to wasn't making enough to cover the rent, so we all had to move to the main location.

I know somebody who passed BBO 8 in her late 50's.

• Like 1

Depends what adult size you are Becky.

See link below who do a size 4 but if you need a 5 or 6 you're probably out of luck!

http://www.dancewearuniverse.co.uk/rad-istd-regulation-ballet-leotards/rad-regulation-ballet-leotards/sleeveless-leotard/prod_786.html

Yes adults can take ISTD ballet exams from Grade 4 upwards, and Modern from Grade 2 upwards. You should probably try a Grade 5 or 6 class for Modern though.