Aakash Odedra - 'Murmur'

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the Linbury Theatre for the dress rehearsal of Aakash Odedra's latest piece, 'Murmur'. Here are a couple of sample photos:

16176706689_210464bf85_z.jpg
Aakash Odedra 
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

15742948323_9ea15f6fb4_z.jpg
Aakash Odedra 
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Aakash Odedra - 'Murmur'
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 2

I must say that I nearly left in the interval, so unimpressed was I with 'Inked', which started 16 minutes late and contained little or no dance, but a whole lot of skidding around on kneepads and drawing circles on the floorcloth. The eyes on the shoulder-blades (it's a long story ...) were momentarily interesting but soon seemed  cartoonish and irritating ..... To me. at least, a piece of little merit.

HOWEVER - 'Murmur' was quite different. I was sceptical about a dance piece about dyslexia, but it turned out to be compelling, beautiful, innovative ... Mr Odedra emerged as a fascinating character; he danced with light projections, with paper shreds, with lengths of silky material, with ten electric fans, and it all made sense. It was moving and, I'll say again, beautiful. I'm so glad I stayed for it, and hope it re-emerges somewhere soon. And yes, it WAS about dyslexia and very insightfully so too.