Editing existing post

I have just tried to edit an existing post but with no success.

On another forum I use that is run by IPS an edit button appears at the bottom of your post, by the report and quote buttons. However this did not appear on my original post so I made a further post to update the information. Guess what? The edit button then appeared on that one but when I pressed it to experiment it told me I didn't have permission to edit it - even though it was my post! The help function gives some info but I can't work out how to implement it!

Sorry, this is a long way of saying does anyone know how to edit your own post once it has gone live?

OK, now I am totally confused as I have managed to edit this one but didn't do anything differently!!

There are still no edit buttons on my posts on the thread about vocational exams. Could it be system glitch?

Edited by Willow

When posting under Today's Links, I found that I could edit but only for a limited time, and I think that time may be quite short and certainly less than the 6 hours or so we had on the old Forum. And I note that the brief mention under one of the Help topics is not specific about this.

Edited after a couple of minutes to add that the word 'Edit' (and "Report') appears on posting but is very faint until you hover the arrow over it, when it becomes perfectly legible.

Edited by Ian Macmillan

It is an incredibly short time, certainly: I went back to a post within, I'd guess, 1/2 an hour, and found I couldn't edit it. Yet some boards (I'm not sure if they operate on precisely the same software) have permanent editing ability. I guess it depends on the settings, and is something we'll work out in due course.

It is an incredibly short time, certainly: I went back to a post within, I'd guess, 1/2 an hour, and found I couldn't edit it. Yet some boards (I'm not sure if they operate on precisely the same software) have permanent editing ability. I guess it depends on the settings, and is something we'll work out in due course.

Testing this afternoon, I'd guess it's 30 minutes. It's just over half an hour since I posted something, and I can no longer edit it. I guess some tweaking will need to be done in due course - the "birthday" thing is something else that doesn't appear to be working as it should.