Bulge above knee

Wish22

My DD's teacher keeps on sighing and saying it's such a shame that DD has a 'bulge' above her knee. She says it's formed due to lack of proper training from a young age. DD now knows the proper technique but unfortunately the bulge remains.  Does anyone know if what she is talking about is really is such a big deal in that it could affect her chances of being selected for a Senior School?

Edited by Wish22

I would ask the teacher! Failing that, if you can take your dd to a Dance Physio and ask for their opinion. When you say "Senior School", do you mean 6th form/Upper School? Or Secondary School (i.e. 11-16)?

If the latter I am sure that a child's physique - in terms of muscular "bulges" - is not fixed at 10 or 11.

Hi,  I meant selection for a 16+ vocational ballet school.  Her teacher is very 'old school'  and an ex Royal Ballet Dancer herself so her standards are very high in terms of both technique and physique. I.e. she would not select my DD based on the appearance her leg regardless of how well she dances. My DD will be auditioning for a 2015 so not much time to correct this 'fault' if indeed there is anything she could do?

Sounds like she has muscle! Personally I'm a fan of muscle, look at any photos of classical dancers and they too have clearly defined thigh muscles. If you are worried and you want, I'll look at a photo and be easily able to say if it's muscle or anything else. long, lean muscles are recognised as aesthetically pleasing, and working muscles differently will change their shape over time so they might change as your dd grows and changes her training.

• Like 2

You might also want to look at some of Lisa Howell's conditioning program's. She is pretty good at responding to questions posted online. It's via the ballet blog online. I echo what has been said re seeing a dance physio. In addition, if you can get any pilates classes taught using a reformer by someone who knows about dance this should help encourage the use of the inner thighs and hamstrings as opposed to relying upon the quadriceps too much. Making sure that the quadriceps are regularly stretched is also important.

Some dancers naturally have more developed muscles than others which can in part be genetic or down to other activities in addition to dance.

• Like 1