non-dancing careers in dance?

munchkin16

DD has also wanted to be ballet dancer from the age of 3..also knows the chances are slim......she is trying for vocational colleges at the moment but is well aware that she needs a plan B...Her school is not very supportive and we have had to fight quite hard even to have days off for auditions. Quite honestly it all feels just so hard today...maybe by tomorrow I'll feel better. Trying to keep her spirits up too.

Another option.

Feel free to ignore it completely!

Do as good a degree/course as you can from the best college you can get into. Where is often as important as what. But you should make sure it is what you enjoy. It is 3 years after all and costs a lot.,

Do arts/ballet/dance as voluntary or part time work to get experience. If there is a college or local dance or arts group, get involved. Become chair or treasurer, act booker, event organiser, cleaner upper after events, whatever. Do as much vacation work in ballet as you can.

Then if a ballet/dance job opens up on graduation, you have actual experience. If not, then the fall back of a politician is available! But also, prospective employers in other areas will see that you can actually do something practical and you never know, it might even be fun!

• Like 4

I understand the need to be both practical and realistic which is why I have applied for university, but that doesn't mean I can't explore further options until results in the summer. I spent a year studying the sciences, it wasn't right for me and I was miserable, which is why I say that I need to see if there is any way to something I love because I know first hand that doing the wrong thing because it is 'sensible' can actually be more damaging psychologically.

I may end up at uni, but I see that as easier to take up as you get older, I think dance goes the other way! I visited parliament the other day and maybe I will end up as a politican, but maybe I could contribute greatly to the arts in one of the excellent suggestions and get a seat in the lords instead, the red benches are rather comfortable ;)

• Like 1

Yes it's true you need to be in dance when young.

Usually by the age of 18 though you should have a realistic idea of where you stand in the dance world.

My feeling is that if you're not doing Advanced level ballet of some sort by this age you are not going to make it a s a performer at least.....or not in the professional world that is.

So you have either the chance to train as a teacher of Dance OR keep Dance as a main hobby and see where it takes you. You could belong to a good Amateur performing group down the line which could give you some real satisfaction.

Otherwise you would have to be on the periphery of the professional world in some form or other with many suggestions here of course.

I'm still not quite sure why you didn't want to take the grade 6 exam in ballet but are still considering the Intermediate level one.

It might be a good idea toget some experience in an exam scenario before Intermediate level to be honest especially as you are a comparative newcomer to ballet.

What do your parents think......do they not want to support your ballet activities? (Money for exam etc) This can sometimes be a problem unfortunately.

What made you think of studying politics at University? Was this your idea? Sorry so many questions.......just trying toget a better picture.

LinMM: I don't want to perform, I've known from the beginning I am far too old with not enough experience and also lack the flexibility and turn out necessary.

I didn't not want to take the exam, the decision was my parents and considering they are funding a private sixth form education I respect their decision as the timing of the exam was not ideal (I would happily have done it, I managed to balance performing in a musical and exams before!)

I am concentrating on the intermediate exam as it is the one I would need to even be considered for the teaching course. I have taken two dance exams before, one modern and one ballet although I understand I need more experience than that.

They accept it becuase they know it makes me happy but no, they neither understand nor particuarly support it. They find it funny!

Studying politics was suggested by my teachers as most people at my school go on to university and it is my best subject.

Well I think you can probably keep parents and yourself happy by at least going for the Uni option but make sure you keep ballet high on your agenda whilst you are there!!

Perhaps when you get to choosing Unis .......obviously keeping the course you want to do in mind......make sure you choose one where there is a lot of ballet you can get to if need be if you have that choice!! London and Bristol seem to be very good!! And are good Unis though the course you eventually choose must be important.

If you end up at Sussex you can PM me and I can put you in the way of quite a lot of ballet classes!!!

Have you got to the stage of choosing Unis yet or is that next year?

This must be discussed with parents of course but it makes sense if you get a choice of places to choose a place where you can continue with your hearts desire as well.