How much training to teach?

Iloveballet2804

I'm thirteen and love to dance - I do ballet and contemporary at northern ballet in Leeds. I currently take four dance classes a week - would this be enough to look in to teaching as a possible career later on? I know to dance professionally I would need to join a vocational programme and this is something I would not want to do but is this the case for teaching? I love to teach dance and run local workshops over the summer at the moment - what are your thoughts? X :)

Hello. It depends what level you reach really, there are distance learning options rather than vocational school for teacher training and they usually require a student to have passed intermediate. What level are you working at now?

Unfortunately in this country it is still possible for non qualified teachers to set up dance classes. Things like public liability insurance are a legal requirement, formal dance training isnt!.

However to be registered with a dance body eg Rad,Istd requires undertaking very comprehensive training either at a college such as Rad or via distance learning.

Training to become a Ballet teacher DOES NOT involve merely learning a syllabus.in fact in practical teaching sessions reliance on set work is frowned upon. Understanding of both subject and pupils is far more important. And aside from the considerable number of supervised teaching hours there is lots of written work and courses to attend such as anatomy.safe teaching practise.history etc.

Ive only scratched the surface here and my knowledge is based on Rad. The best way to find out about teaching is first ask your teachers and then contact organisations about what their courses involve.

Incidentally having qualified you are then required to maintain cpd.A good teacher never stops learning.

• Like 4

Hi :)

I trained as a ballet teacher at the RAD and prior to that I only took 2 classes a week. It was a 3-year degree program so at the end you get teaching qualifications as well as an academic one. For this you needed to have passed your RAD Intermediate or equivalent and get through an audition. The RAD also offer distance learning qualifications but teaching really is not something you can learn and develop from paper. I don't know a lot about ISTD qualifications but I think you also need Intermediate and although it is less intense than the RAD it still includes a lot of face-to-face contact with tutors and teaching experience.

So basically I would say you are fine with 4 classes a week and when it comes to decided on qualifications definitely go for the longer courses, skimping on training will lose you the opportunity to really develop your skills.

• Like 1

Another view.....

Whether you choose to teach as part of a syllabus program or not (I do not - by choice) it is a good idea to talk to your teachers and tell them of your ambition to teach.  Watch not only what they do in class - but how they do it.   See what works and what doesn't.  Get one or two you admire to mentor you.  Sometimes they will allow you to assist with younger children. 

As you go along in your studies, take from a wide variety of teachers.  Take classes in school or college which will add to your knowledge.  Try to get some stage experience - dance recitals - how to choose costuming, music, choreography - all this will be needed. 

A tried and true way is to find those who you admire and are doing what you want to do - talk to them - observe them - and ask them for help.  Most people love to pass on what they know and are happy to help. 

• Like 1