Requirements for chaperone's licence

Lemongirl

I am hoping to chaperone for Three Counties Youth ballet whose show is this coming weekend.  Unfortunately my county council have messed up my application due to someone being off sick so I may not get my licence in time, in which case I won't be able to do it.

They have really tightened up on things and now say anyone applying for a chaperone's licence has to attend a course on Safeguarding Children.  I also had to have a face-to-face interview.  Is this normal with other councils?

When I chaperoned (twice) with EYB last year, I wasn't asked to apply for a licence.  I was told a recent CRB was enough.  But my council have told me that really isn't enough and they should have covered themselves (and me).

Rules seem to vary county from county but some certainly need attendance at a course whilst others seem to do it by interview. Always best to take advice from your own county, I have always found them to be very helpful.

I have never heard of this. I have had to have a CRB check for several different things including primary school governor, reading mentor, my job in the NHS and for Royal Ballet Chaperoning. I had to go on a safeguarding course as a school governor but I didn't think this was connected to my CRB check just the role. Which county is this?

And does the CRB check get done in the county you live or the county that the head office is in (such as RBS).

The crb is checked on your addresses and police record if any.  It is only as good for on the day it is issued.  I was a licensed chaperone last year for eyb, our council was happy to look at my most recent crb plus proof of address and identity.

Ax

When children perform in a show where an admission fee is charged (or film) they have to have a child performing licence. They are allowed to perform for up to 4 days in 6 months without a licence as long as certain conditions are net and amdram groups can apply for a body of persons exemption to the licence

They have to be supervised during the performance by a licensed matron or chaperone. To become a chaperone you have to apply to the education welfare office of the local authority where you live. This usually involves a crb check, written references, interview and in some cases health check/ training course. A matron has certain legal responsibilities and has to ensure thatcthecregulations regarding children performing are adhered to.

Each local authority administers it slightly differently.

Picturesinthefirelight has summed it up very well. I have been a licenced chaperone for over 9 years now and the requirements seem to increase each time I renew my licence (used to be every three years but now every two). First time it was just forms, references and CRB then a face to face interview was added and this year I had to attend a safeguarding course.

Lemongirl if the delay is not your fault and you have completed everything required, most importantly the CRB check then it might well be worth speaking to the person who deals with licencing to see if anything can be arranged to allow you to chaperone this weekend. At Christmas I wanted to chaperone Panto, as I have for many years, but my chaperone licence had run out and a new badge couldn't be issued until I had attended the newly introduced course. All my other paperwork was completed but the only evening date available for the course (I work in the day) was after panto finished. They very kindly gave me permission (in writing) to chaperone wearing my out-of-date badge. I think it helped that I have had a lot of dealings with them in the past as I chaperone for several different groups and also my youngest dd has done quite a bit of performing for which she needed to be licenced but still unless you ask you never know..

The other thing to remember is that CRBs are non-transferrable. I know a lot of amateur groups just ask parents if they have one and then assume they can look after children. This is not the case and unless a licenced chaperone a parent may only look after their own child/children,

Although legally chaperone ratios are 1:12 for over 8's our council suggests best practice should be at least 2:10 so that if one child needs to go somewhere (e.g. the toilet) there is still someone to stay with the rest.

That depends on the company. Some only allow licensed chaperones due to space issues - too mZny parents backstage can be a nightmare especially if that parent only wants to help their own child. Non licensed people can not be left in sole charge if a child.

However dd's dance school has a few non licensed but still crb checked helpers who have specific roles backstage such as dressers for quick changes/stage hands. When I put shows on I usually have a couple of non licensed make up people such as when we did a toy box piece or a cats dance.