Citation needed: training young is required to develop good turnout.

Colman

There is a common bit of wisdom that says something like that you need to train early to develop things like turnout and flexibility, that by doing so before adolescence you adapt the body to allow more of both. (Which leads to the corollary that adult beginners, as opposed to returners, shouldn't expect to develop good turnout.)

Does anyone have any pointers to studies on this? 

To me it looks suspiciously like there's at lot of survivorship bias in it - the dancers that make it are chosen in part because they have good turnout, and many dancers train from very young and the ones who don't develop good turnout are discarded early.

It's difficult to find a citation to support this, because it isn't true and is much more complicated than this. Turnout has many facets (passive, active, functional, standing etc etc) and is affected by many many factors, including joint shape and positioning, ligament laxity, muscle length and strength. I sadly don't have time to dig through all the research for you but if you go to google scholar and type in turnout and ballet you'll find a lot of articles. Be wary of older articles which have since been disproven through more modern understanding and research.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, drdance said:

Be wary of older articles which have since been disproven through more modern understanding and research.

I was pretty much expecting you to pop up with this sort of reply! Any particular key words or concepts I should be wary of? 

6 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

My husband has never done a ballet class in his entire life, yet he has flat turnout.

Likewise (well, when I started a decade ago) - all three boys in my house just have flat turnout available, even if using it is a different matter.

10 minutes ago, Colman said:

I was pretty much expecting you to pop up with this sort of reply! Any particular key words or concepts I should be wary of? 

No, just check/ use more recent studies - anything older than 2000 is probably best to avoid.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2024 at 14:25, taxi4ballet said:

My husband has never done a ballet class in his entire life, yet he has flat turnout.  His hip joints are just made that way. 

Yes - my husband has natural turnout & walks like a ballet dancers! As does the son…Both drum so wonder if that’s got something to do with it? Always threatening to pop the hubbie in a pair of white tights….🤔