This will be brief as my WiFi has broken down and I'm not good at typing on my phone. But I wanted to do a brief summary of the new Phoenix programme for those who like contemporary dance and live near the venues where the company will be appearing: Dundee, Liverpool, London, Malvern, Doncaster, York. 

I have watched Phoenix since they started over 40 years ago. Living up to its name the company has evolved through many iterations, starting with 3 boisterous young black men from inner-city Leeds. It now has a new director, Marcus Willis, formerly of Alvin Ailey, and new dancers. They are all very good, above all Phikolwethu Luke amongst the men and Dorna  Ashory among the women.

Whilst it's worth attending a performance to see the dancers alone, the first piece is well worth a journey. It is Requiem (excerpts), an edited version of the piece Dane Hurst, the company 's previous, all too brief, director created last year in conjunction with Opera North. Previously a superb dancer his choreography is fluent and moving. 

The second piece is by Miguel Altunaga. I have always really enjoyed his ballets but didn't enjoy Cloudburst. It seemed long and repetitive, difficult to understand and made my friends and me uncomfortable. According to the printed programme ( very well produced and good value at £4) it's about sacrifice. I think it's influenced by African-Cuban religion which focuses on the supernatural. But the Guardian review is very positive about it so I'll be interested to see how I react when I see it again in York. 

Finally the third work is by the artistic director, Terms of Agreement, supposedly about love, including an interesting duet for 2 men. It's to a number of popular songs plus some narration. The dances are quite varied but with brief pauses between them. It's bright both in terms of lighting and, mostly, mood.

Overall, a varied programme with great dancing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3