George-Murray Nightingale taking mental health break

George-Murray Nightingale, coryphée with The Australian Ballet, has announced he is taking a break from life as a professional dancer. His Instagram post describes feelings of inadequacy and "impostor syndrome", despite nearly ten years dancing with English National Ballet, National Ballet of Romania, Royal Ballet of Flanders, and The Australian Ballet.

The openness and honesty in his words are a rare thing in the dance world. I applaud him, and hope to see him back on stage sometime soon.

His Bottom in last year's Ashton bill was a highlight, and he's dancing the Mad Hatter in Wheeldon's Alice in the current season.

This is a new thread, replacing the one claiming he had retired, which implied it was permanent. George is looking to return to the stage in the future.

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed George-Murray Nightingale's performances on the Australian Ballet tour to London - I caught 3 of them! I hope he'll give himself a well deserved break. It sounds from his Instagram post that he's worked very hard and gone on at short notice a lot to cover colleagues (perhaps in different companies as well as Australian Ballet), which can be stressful....he might be feeling a bit burnt out at the moment.

I haven't seen him dance in Australia but I can certainly state that there are even current principal dancers (not in AusBallet- other big companies) who have gone on at short notice, and even a few with advanced notice and more rehearsal time, who have made quite major errors, laughed it off, never mentioned it, and nobody remembered their mistakes. So he shouldn't be too hard on himself- he helped save the show and that's what counts. 

I do hope he will continue to dance and that he gets his confidence back. Glad he danced the Mad Hatter this season-a fun and important role!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

Not sure what happened to my Staatsballett Berlin Forum post from this morning  …any issues!

I believe Sophoife removed her post and title as she felt it wasn't accurate- if you remove the whole opening post as opposed to just editing it, the entire thread goes also. My reply also got removed as I tried to submit it.....but no problem- I was more concise when I redid it. 😄 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Emeralds and sorry @Vanartus - I did delete the thread, as it was misleading, and I couldn't edit it as it was 32 minutes after posting. On carefully re-reading his Insta post, he is taking a break, not retiring for good (we all hope). Sadly yes, your excellent post and link went the way of all flesh...would you mind awfully re-posting it?

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1