Dutch National Ballet Frida 11 Feb 2024

On Sunday I saw Act 2 of Frida - sadly my flight out was delayed by fog so I missed Act1 but I knew the story as I have seen the ballet before. 

The ballet was beautifully danced by all at DNB, as usual.  Frida was portrayed by Anna Tsygankova and Diego by the newly promoted Giorgi Potskhishvili shown below at the curtain call.  I was very impressed with Giorgi he is a good strong dancer and lifts were no problem at all!  Anna T was lovely as Frida, I really enjoy Anna's dancing and her partnership with Giorgi was really good - they often dance together now I know why as this was my first opportunity to see them together. 

GGPA94EXoAAeBk6?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The corps de ballet were great, all the skeletons and different colourful versions of Frida as seen below.  The Stag, Frida's alter ego, was danced by Erica Horwood (front centre), and The Bird was danced by Emma Mardegan (front far right in pink/purples).  The Queen Leaf was Luiza Bertho (front left taking a bow in the green and red tutu)

GGPAVvVXgAAcZm0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Below you can see (L-R) Yuanyuan Zhang as Josephine Baker, one of Frida's lovers,  a Victorian Frida  danced by Yvonne Slingerland, Broken Column danced by Floor Eimers and Frida's sister Cristina danced by Arianna Maldini.

GGPA94lWgAAcDFL?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I really enjoyed the music to the ballet and the interesting set and props used. I don't usually go to contemporary ballet, but this one is very good and I would recommend it to anyone.  I saw the original premier back in 2019 or was it 2020?! and this ballet suits the company very well.  It was inspired by ENB's Broken Wings of which this is an extended 2 act version.  Ted Brandsen knew he was onto a good thing when he asked Annabelle Lopez Ochoa to make this extended ballet for DNB - the run is completely sold out so hopefully the company will revive Frida again soon as it is very popular and was very enthusiastically received by the audience on Sunday!

Edited by Don Q Fan
Typo and add date
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

• Don Q Fan changed the title to Dutch National Ballet Frida 11 Feb 2024
2 hours ago, Birdy said:

My daughter is in those photos (not the first one, obviously). Thank you a million times for posting it!

Oh how lovely! Please feel to DM me and let me know which dancer she is, as I have lots more photos and I would be happy to check for her and  send any more over to you privately☺️

• Like 1