Malcolm Arnold Festival online

Does anyone know if the new version of the Polka from Solitaire created by Dame Monica Mason and danced by Viola Pantuso will be available to view later? It’s shows this afternoon starting up again at 3pm but would like to view later today. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VBdancer said:

Does anyone know if the new version of the Polka from Solitaire created by Dame Monica Mason and danced by Viola Pantuso will be available to view later? It’s shows this afternoon starting up again at 3pm but would like to view later today. 

The full livestream was made available last year on the same site so perhaps you could keep an eye on the site 

And thanks for the heads up!

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

And for me!

I hope you were able to enjoy it earlier in the day (or yesterday)?    Or did it never actually stream?    I'm quite confused, as you can see.   What was the case last year, if I may ask--was the stream only visible while 'live', with no video on demand?    

57 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I tried several times yesterday but all it said was that the stream had not started yet when it I understood should have been live.

Thank you for letting me know.    I hope it does stream at some point, and I'm lucky enough to catch.   I'd love to see Viola dancing Dame Monica Mason's choreography!

On 31/10/2023 at 01:42, myrtle said:

Very thankful for the opportunity to learn more about the great Maestro Malcolm Arnold as well. 

I'm just giving this a little boost as I have no idea for how long it will remain online. The entire day is a joy and the final interview with Dame Monica Mason and the MacMillan Solitaire solo with Viola Pantuso (not by Monica Mason!) really should not be missed. Looking now at that solo, possibly there is a foretaste of Elite Syncopations, which she also danced for the RBS end of year show?

The theme this year was Malcolm Arnold's ballet music. That de Valois thought so highly of his ballet music speaks volumes.

This is worth reading.

https://www.paulrwjackson.co.uk/macmillan-and-music-revealing-macmillan/

1956 Solitaire (only the Polka and Sarabande
are new the rest of the music is the 8 English Dances) –Sir Malcolm Arnold.
(Premiere-7 June, Sadler’s Wells theatre Ballet, Sadler’s Wells)

In choosing Arnold’s music, MacMillan showed that he was able to hear more than the surface meaning of a work. Arnold was and indeed is famous for the vigour and humour in his works. Yet in all of his music, the English Dances being no exception, there is underlying sense of melancholy.

Edited by Ondine