Powerhouse Ballet will contribute to Dance Studio Leeds's "Celebration of Dance" on 25 Nov at the Chroma Q Theatre in Leeds with a scene from "La Sylphide" directed by Jane Tucker of Northern Ballet Academy.

We would love to welcome as many of our members, friends and well-wishers from around the country to our show but they must order their tickets soon.    Last year tickets sold out faster than a home match against United at the Etihad Stadium.

Here is the link for the matinee performance:
And here is the link to the evening show
https://bookwhen.com/thedancestu.../e/ev-sf07-20231125190000

We shall also contribute the same piece to York St John University's show on 10 Dec,
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning all

Today is our last rehearsal before next week's show.

As usual, Jane Tucker of Northern Ballet Academy and the Northern School of Contemporary will give us a full class to be followed by a rehearsal,  

Most of the class already had romantic tutus from Giselle of which we danced an extract last year.   One of our members who is as adept with a needle and thread as she is enchanting as a dancer has made some wings and sleeves to transition from wilis to sylphs.    Our choreographer, director and producer Jane Tucker has created a magnificent show.

As usual, the class is open to any member of our company (or indeed any subscriber to this website) who can make it to Dance Studio Leeds by 14:00.

• Thanks 1

Today Powerhouse Ballet will contribute to the matinee and evening performances of Dance Studio Leeds's annual "Celebration of Dance" gala at the Chroma Q Theatre.  Dance Studio Leeds hopes to raise funds for bowel cancer relief and research and I am proud to say that my blog is one of the sponsors of the gala.

We are dancing a short extract from "La Sylphide" which Jane Tucker of Northern Ballet has adapted for us.   The scene is where James meets the sylphs in the forest after having left Effie and all their wedding guests at home.   This is our first ever ballet with a male dancer and we are very lucky to have found Frank Lee who will dance the male lead.    I won't say "hero" because James is a bit of a plonker.   He parted with his wedding ring to a sylph who exists up a chimney and acted boorishly in chucking out an old lady who wanted nothing more than to warm herself by his hearth and sup a few drams of his whisky.   As you know he is scammed into buying a scarf that is toxic to sylphs with the result that he loses his fantasy sylph as well as Effie.

La Sylphide is not a long show.    Bournonville's choreography is not easy but I hope we can expand it into our first full-length ballet.   I shall also audition for the role of Madge.

I am very excited about today's show and I will let you all know how we get on.    

• Like 2

We had a great day yesterday but it could easily have gone wrong as two of our most talented and experienced dancers were indisposed owing to illness and injury.

Our wonderful teacher and choreographer took it all in stride.   She adjusted the choreography and restored our confidence completely with the result that our dancers excelled themselves.   They danced magnificently in both the matinee and evening performances.

I had hoped to show you our cast photo but it exceeds the 500KN limit.    Fingers crossed, this link will take you to the same photo on Facebook.

Our next class will take place at Dance Studio Leeds on 27 Jan 20024 between 09:45 and 11:15.   It will be given by Annemarie Donoghue of Northern Ballet.

• 1 month later...

Following our matinee and evening performances at Chroma Q Theatre in Leeds on 25 Nov and our guest appearance in "Shale Your Tutu" at York St John University, Powerhouse Ballet is now on a roll.    Our next event will be our January company class with Fiona Noonan on 27 Jan 2024 between 09:45 and 11:15 at Dance Studio Leeds.

As always we welcome new members.   Anybody who wishes to join us in class should click this link and press the "Book Now" button.

https://www.trybooking.com/uk/events/landing/53844  

• 2 months later...

We should like to renew our usual invitation to adult dancers in the North of England who would like to dance in public.

We shall hold a company class at Dance Studio Leeds on Saturday 30 March 2024 between 14:00 and 15:30.   Our guest ballet mistress will be Fiona Noonan who trained at the Queensland Ballet Academy and performed with the Queensland Ballet.    As this event is fully sponsored attendees will not be charged.

Full details of the event are on the registration card.    We look forward to meeting as many new dancers as possible on Saturday,    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1