RBS Mid Associates application and audition dates for 2024

Jing

Hello,

Could someone let me know when approximately would the MA application and audition dates be please for next year - or rather when these were in the past? Just need to plan my work/travelling schedule around it. 

Thank you! 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to RBS Mid Associates application and audition dates for 2024

Applications for Mids are usually open Sept-Oct with auditions Jan-Feb. Our whole JA class were advised to tick the box on the application form for both Mids and full time training as they would then get seen at one or two additional auditions as well as the preliminary audition (which is the only audition for mids but the first of three (for year 7 girls) for full time training) - these take place in Feb/March. I know some children who got through to Mids just by doing that first audition but it seems like the majority of places went to those who were at finals/semi-finals. The difficulty is if you get to finals but don’t want the place full time if offered, which happened to a number of children applying for year 7 this year! I wonder if RBS might change things on the back of this?

The application seems to open earlier and earlier through the last few years and I think this is because in the last couple of years RBS changed it from a 2 to 3-stage audition. From our experience, most would initially say they (or their DD/DS) only wants an MA place (for some this is true though a good number of course want a full time place and why not tick the box when it’s on the same form) and this becomes a tricky decision when offered a full time place. I might also be wrong but from recent memory, at least the last six or so years, the number of DCs who turned down a full time place this year is unprecedented as far as I know and can remember. I could be wrong but it’s easily double what I remember the last handful of years. In the past there would always be the odd 2 or so, it was so rare I actually remember more those who turned down places over the years. I am not sure what happened in the last 1-2 years but this number appears to have spiked up this year. I actually thought this would go down with the new system of assuring students’ place the first 3 years. The MA class I know has a majority former JAs. Those who weren’t were in the White Lodge finals. Also worth remembering that you don’t necessarily have to audition in the centre your DD wants to attend. There are whole other discussions (and interesting theories) on this on other threads. Lastly, RBS associates has of course the well known reputation but you have to keep in mind that some centres are known to ‘assess’ out (I only know of one centre but I thought I’d say ‘centres’ as I don’t know what happens in other centres though I’ve never heard of any assessed out in others). So keep in mind other great associate schemes like Central’s. I can only assume that beyond that first class, it will be harder to get a place as they go up years as most places would be taken up already by those who were there from year 7. There is a lot of interchange between these two schemes. I’ve seen DCs transfer from one to the other.