Nina Timofeeva/Timofeyeva

I was hoping someone might know of the Kirov then Bolshoi dancer Nina Timofeeva. I understand that she came to dance in London with the Bolshoi in the 60s maybe and was often the opening lead role. Would love if anybody could tell me anything they know - especially if you saw her dance!

Edited by Blossom
  • Like 1

Nina Timofeeva was a participant in the very first tour of Bolshoi Ballet in London in 1956, after she had just been transferred from the Kirov/Mariinsky Theatre.
The best Swan of the Bolshoi Ballet Maya Plisetskaya was restricted to travel abroad for political reasons: her father was shot during Stalin's "purges".
So Nina danced "Swan Lake" in London. She was a remarkable ballerina with a very strong technique. The best Aegina in "Spartacus". I have seen her on stage more than once.
You can see her in the pas de deux from "La Bayadère" with Mikhail Lavrovsky:

Edited by Amelia
Added more recordings.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Annaballerina said:

She moved to Israel in the 90s and founded the Jerusalem Ballet company. Today her daughter Nadia is the artistic director.

Thank you. Do you know anything about the company? 

36 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Thank you. Do you know anything about the company? 

https://instagram.com/jerusalemballetcompany?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

It’s a small company compared to the big European ones. In Israel it’s the second largest, I think (second to the Israel ballet. The country is more known for worldwide contemporary companies). They produce mostly original works I think.

They also operate a school that feeds most of the company. The school is one of the best in the country, the students have won competitions and scholarships in Israel and abroad.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Not especially relevant to you, but she was married to the marvellous conductor Gennadi Rohzdestvensky for a while

Always interesting to know  though!

• Like 1