Alexei Ratmansky to leave American Ballet Theatre

It may have to do with the overall budget, rather than personalities/talents. I was fearing that this would happen, when I saw the  Summer 2023 ABT schedule  at the Met, without Ratmansky works. 

He’s a highly-coveted freelancer. We’ll be enjoying his ballets worldwide, no doubt.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sophoife said:

The usual changing of the guard with a new artistic director, I reckon.

I would hazard the guess that it has more to do with the expense of his existing contract, which ABT may feel it cannot justify renewing given that it has pressing needs in other areas. I'm referring particularly to the area of coaching. ABT has never had an extensive coaching staff (which has led many dancers to seek private coaching separate and apart from the company) and the staff it does have is aging. Irina Kolpakova was born in 1933!

There's also the problem that some of the company's productions look tired and are badly in need of an overhaul - all of which costs money.

It will be interesting to see how much of the repertory Ratmansky created for ABT stays in repertory now that the company and he won't be tied together by a lengthy contract. You can see the list of works here:

American Ballet Theatre - Alexei Ratmansky (abt.org)

The most frequently made comment in New York about Ratmansky's tenure at ABT is that he's actually done his best work every place but ABT. I think things will shake out quickly and we'll soon see which pieces the new director deems worthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am guessing this is probably due to budgeting needs and as Ratmansky is in such demand all over the world, this may also tie in well with his other projects and plans. (I think there’s still an unfinished 24 Preludes reworking with RB that’s waiting too!) Or perhaps the ABT board want him to be hired on a project by project basis rather than as an in-house choreographer. That will give them more flexibility and funds to commission other choreographers and divert funds to other priorities if needs be.

• Like 1