Lyrical Dance

On 26/04/2024 at 13:49, SheilaC said:

Thank you, Buddy. Shelby Mann is indeed lyrical, and very impressive for 11.  I see that she is now in the corps of NYCB.

After I had watched her excerpt I watched the beginning of the clip and Jacques gives some very interesting information about Balanchine . Jacques is, as ever, irrepressible, and it's so lovely to see him, he was such an important dancer to the evolution of City Ballet, I am so glad I was able to see him dance before he retired. And, of course, after retiring he contributed a lot to dance education and opportunities for less privileged people, indeed in his talk he explains how dance helped him as a boy to avoid the risk of street crime and violence.

Jacques d’Amboise did indeed have some extremely fine and highly likable qualities, Sheila. I believe that they named a street next to Lincoln Center in New York City after him. It’s only a block long, but still quite an honor.

My favorite Jacques d’Amboise quote — “Forget the angst.”

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Since we happen to be talking about Jacques d’Amboise, the video of Allegra Kent being partnered by Jacques d’Amboise in George Balanchine’s Act II Divertissement ‘Duet’ from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” is, for me, the finest performance of this work that I’ve seen. And, for me, this wonderful work is one of the finest examples of ‘Lyrical’ dancing in ballet. I go as far as to consider it one of the several most beautiful dances in all ballet, the others being the ‘White Swan Duet’ from Swan Lake and Mikhail Fokin’s “The Swan,” made famous by Anna Pavlova.

Edited by Buddy