School of American Ballet Summer Intensive

NotadanceMa

I was wondering whether anyone here has a child that has attended this SI.

I am interested in how your child found it (not in comparison stylistically) compared against training standards and timetables of day ENBS/RBS SI Y10/11.

Is it worth doing if accepted and if so why, what does it offer that perhaps the U.K. SI’s might not and what does it lack if anything?

Definitely different from UK SI’s. Much more emphasis on allegro and pointe. Fast paced and builds stamina and strength especially in pointe work. Nothing to compare in UK regarding pointe. Pointe shoes become your second skin. Refreshing  to mix with a different crowd of students. Disadvantages - the spiky hands!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruby Foo said:

Definitely different from UK SI’s. Much more emphasis on allegro and pointe. Fast paced and builds stamina and strength especially in pointe work. Nothing to compare in UK regarding pointe. Pointe shoes become your second skin. Refreshing  to mix with a different crowd of students. Disadvantages - the spiky hands!

My dancer loves the ‘spiky hands!’ 😁

Main difference in terms of the actual programme is that it is 5 weeks - I don’t think any U.K. SI is that long.  The dates, especially the start date, usually doesn’t fit with the English summer break. I believe it also acts almost like an audition for the year-round programme. So rather than an audition that is 2-days long or having 2-3 stages (prelims/finals/etc), the students can be observed for a much longer time for suitability for the year-round programme and at the same time the students get a feel of whether school and living in the city is for them.

48 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Main difference in terms of the actual programme is that it is 5 weeks - I don’t think any U.K. SI is that long.  The dates, especially the start date, usually doesn’t fit with the English summer break. I believe it also acts almost like an audition for the year-round programme. So rather than an audition that is 2-days long or having 2-3 stages (prelims/finals/etc), the students can be observed for a much longer time for suitability for the year-round programme and at the same time the students get a feel of whether school and living in the city is for them.

Has your dancer attended the SI and if so what did they think? 
I’m more interested in content of the course and the quality of teaching etc than the practicalities, although Thankyou for your  response. 

My dancer has attended the SAB 5-week SI and RBS 2-week SI in White Lodge. In both places, the quality of teaching was high, teachers were supportive, and she was surrounded by incredibly talented dancers. The main differences she found were of course the style of ballet (my daughter learned she doesn't love Balanchine) and the hours per day of dancing. SAB did not have as many hours of dancing per day as RBS (note: she attended SAB pre-pandemic) but she found SAB's classes to be highly intense, with each class feeling like an audition. She had wished for more dancing at SAB, though. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NotadanceMa said:

Has your dancer attended the SI and if so what did they think? 
I’m more interested in content of the course and the quality of teaching etc than the practicalities, although Thankyou for your  response. 

Unfortunately not as the dates never tie in with my DD’s school holidays and she doesn’t like missing even a day of school. I do know a fair few who have attended and the feedback were the same as @StillSewingShoes.  In general they found it quite tiring because of the fast pace and intensity and the Balanchine style which is quite different from SIs here. Teaching I heard is amazing too.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, StillSewingShoes said:

My dancer has attended the SAB 5-week SI and RBS 2-week SI in White Lodge. In both places, the quality of teaching was high, teachers were supportive, and she was surrounded by incredibly talented dancers. The main differences she found were of course the style of ballet (my daughter learned she doesn't love Balanchine) and the hours per day of dancing. SAB did not have as many hours of dancing per day as RBS (note: she attended SAB pre-pandemic) but she found SAB's classes to be highly intense, with each class feeling like an audition. She had wished for more dancing at SAB, though. 

Really helpful thankyou.

can you say how the students downtime is managed?

• Like 1

@NotadanceMa- It's been awhile since her SAB experience but I recall they had lots of outings led by the resident managers (e.g., top of Empire State building, musical, Central Park, boat tour) and they could venture out with their friends based on restrictions agreed to with the parents - the parents are given options as to how far away from SAB their kids could roam. She enjoyed that downtime experience more than being an older student at the White Lodge SI primarily because the WL downtime seemed to be more structured around the younger students, for good reason. Not as much to do in the center of the park.

Edited by StillSewingShoes
  • Like 1

My DD did and preferred USA summer schools and LOVED them all. She loved Ellison the best, SAB and San Diego were fabulous as well. Gosh she worked hard! If you are looking for quality rather (UK summer camp babysitting style), send her to USA. She stayed with host families (it worked out much cheaper and lived with locals).

She had time to discover local areas, tourist hot spots and got local knowledge from home stay family that took her under their wing.  She did not want to stay with the ballet girls as she wanted to experience States also without ballet.
San Diego and SAB was Balanchine style but the Director liked her a lot and she coped well even if only Vaganova trained. Incomparable with UK summer schools. My DD walked out during RB SI from Covent Garden as it was not intensive enough. She does not like their style of teaching, too soft approach...

Edited by FlexyNexy
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

My DD did and preferred USA summer schools and LOVED them all. She loved Ellison the best, SAB and San Diego were fabulous as well. Gosh she worked hard! If you are looking for quality rather (UK summer camp babysitting style), send her to USA. She stayed with host families (it worked out much cheaper and lived with locals).

She had time to discover local areas, tourist hot spots and got local knowledge from home stay family that took her under their wing.  She did not want to stay with the ballet girls as she wanted to experience States also without ballet.
San Diego and SAB was Balanchine style but the Director liked her a lot and she coped well even if only Vaganova trained. Incomparable with UK summer schools. My DD walked out during RB SI from Covent Garden as it was not intensive enough. She does not like their style of teaching, too soft approach...

Thankyou.

This is what my dancer (and I) were hoping to hear. They love Balanchine, they have experienced 2 yr Vaganova based training and just loved this as well. They have lost interest in U.K. Intensives as they no longer feel challenged or interested in what is offered.

They enjoy their full-time vocational training, but want a new experience like SAB for an Intensive, and they want to see what it’s like outside the U.K. 

Just need a successful audition video 🤞 

1 minute ago, NotadanceMa said:

Thankyou.

This is what my dancer (and I) were hoping to hear. They love Balanchine, they have experienced 2 yr Vaganova based training and just loved this as well. They have lost interest in U.K. Intensives as they no longer feel challenged or interested in what is offered.

They enjoy their full-time vocational training, but want a new experience like SAB for an Intensive, and they want to see what it’s like outside the U.K. 

Just need a successful audition video 🤞 

My DD did also Chicago (Balanchine style) and loved it equally. She was offered to come for their Christmas Nutcracker show, but it was just impossible as we live in UK and her school would not allow it. 
She made lovely friends, life experience and training worth my money. She met Principal dancers she always admired and followed, she was challenged by the fast American approach to teaching. The kids are very athletic with large stamina. It was like comparing school Sports day in UK with Olympics in US. 
She came home completely worn out. Day was long with one lunch break (at least that time). She loved Ellison the best. She also did their Pas de deux intensive.

She liked also their contemporary classes, very fun and she also had a class in Alvin Ailey School just because she met a “student” in Metro train on her way to classes. He approached her as he seen her wearing intensive T-shirt and bun and asked if she would like to come. They share the ride from Queens to Manhattan daily together. She has many lovely experiences from States and is desperate to go back.

Other day she seen rehearsals of The Rockettes and their summer school which she wanted to join as it looked equally fun. But I think she liked more their tracksuits and make up J There is so much happening in States and the opportunities are incredible.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

My DD did also Chicago (Balanchine style) and loved it equally. She was offered to come for their Christmas Nutcracker show, but it was just impossible as we live in UK and her school would not allow it. 
She made lovely friends, life experience and training worth my money. She met Principal dancers she always admired and followed, she was challenged by the fast American approach to teaching. The kids are very athletic with large stamina. It was like comparing school Sports day in UK with Olympics in US. 
She came home completely worn out. Day was long with one lunch break (at least that time). She loved Ellison the best. She also did their Pas de deux intensive.

She liked also their contemporary classes, very fun and she also had a class in Alvin Ailey School just because she met a “student” in Metro train on her way to classes. He approached her as he seen her wearing intensive T-shirt and bun and asked if she would like to come. They share the ride from Queens to Manhattan daily together. She has many lovely experiences from States and is desperate to go back.

Other day she seen rehearsals of The Rockettes and their summer school which she wanted to join as it looked equally fun. But I think she liked more their tracksuits and make up J There is so much happening in States and the opportunities are incredible.

My dancers friend now 17 was accepted at  Bolshoi but when Ukraine war happened they left and started at Ellison this September. I knew nothing about this school, it looks fantastic!

It all sounds so very exciting what a wonderful experience for your daughter. 
I really appreciate the information you have shared it’s really informative and helpful.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotadanceMa said:

My dancers friend now 17 was accepted at  Bolshoi but when Ukraine war happened they left and started at Ellison this September. I knew nothing about this school, it looks fantastic!

It all sounds so very exciting what a wonderful experience for your daughter. 
I really appreciate the information you have shared it’s really informative and helpful.

As an international student, Ellison is better choice than Bolshoi. Not because of the training or name, but graduate prospects. Lucky her! Good escape!

If your daughter is interested in Balanchine summer programs in the US, she may want to look at Pacific Northwest Ballet in Seattle. Last year their 5-week summer program didn’t start until July 11th, so it may work with UK school schedules.

• 3 months later...