Recent ballet developments in Russia

This is an ugly, cynical scene from the New Year's evening show on Russian State TV - does anybody recognize the ballerina in green who is sitting next to Tsiskaridze?

Dear Mods: If this is too policital, please delete

I'm so torn. I want to reply on every post (Facebook, Instagram, youtube) "there is a war going on started by your government/army, and you're hopping around happily, aren't you ashamed" or something like this. On the other hand, I see innocent Russian kids, enjoying a ballet. Dancers who just want to perform, their professional life is so short.... it's difficult. 😥

• Like 5

Yesterday Ukraine sanctioned a number of Russian cultural figures, with four Russian ballet stars included. And while the inclusion of Svetlana Zakharova on the sanctions list is not unexpected given her close affiliation with Vladimir Putin (I have even heard allegations that she was his mistress at some point), I wonder what have Evgenia Obraztsova, Ekaterina Krysanova or Vlad Lantratov done to be included as well.

58 minutes ago, ElenaF said:

Yesterday Ukraine sanctioned a number of Russian cultural figures, with four Russian ballet stars included. And while the inclusion of Svetlana Zakharova on the sanctions list is not unexpected given her close affiliation with Vladimir Putin (I have even heard allegations that she was his mistress at some point), I wonder what have Evgenia Obraztsova, Ekaterina Krysanova or Vlad Lantratov done to be included as well.

Could you provide a link to this list?

On Al-Jazeera and other news sources they mention Netrebko, film artists and others in a new list … the purpose of which is to freeze the assets of these artists in Ukraine .. for 10 years.  

I haven’t seen any actual lists.  This article doesn’t mention dancers (I can’t imagine any dancers have assets in Ukraine, though they may well have family). 

https://www.rferl.org/amp/ukraine-sanctions-russia-entertainers/32213661.html

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

On Al-Jazeera and other news sources they mention Netrebko, film artists and others in a new list … the purpose of which is to freeze the assets of these artists in Ukraine .. for 10 years.  

I haven’t seen any actual lists.  This article doesn’t mention dancers (I can’t imagine any dancers have assets in Ukraine, though they may well have family). 

Here is the link to the relevant decree by the Ukrainian president on his official site. The list of sanctioned persons is in the attachment at the bottom of that page. It is all in Ukrainian, the English version of the president's site does not provide translations of official documents, so you may need a translation tool or someone who is language-proficient enough to translate.

https://www.president.gov.ua/documents/42023-45517

There are over 100 individuals on that list. Netrebko is on it. As for people from the ballet world, I only saw the aforementioned 4 names, maybe I missed someone. In addition to asset freezes, the Ukrainian sanctions law states that the names of sanctioned people are to be provided to the governments of the US, European countries and other countries friendly to Ukraine, with a recommendation that these countries add such sanctioned people to their own sanctions lists.

3 hours ago, FionaE said:

It makes me so sick that this list even exists, I cannot check it out.  

Hi everyone.  Whilst we all have feelings of anger and pain regarding the Russian invasion of Ukraine, may we PLEASE once again remind all members that this is a forum for the discussion of ballet and dance (performance, history, dancers, etc.), not politics or world events.  There are plenty of other fora for those discussions.  People can, as individuals, do research and then make informed choices as to which companies or artists they go to see.  It is not for any of us to judge them, even if we disagree with them. 

Furthermore, the general public is not in a position to know what every artist (Russian or otherwise) thinks about their government's actions.  Supposition and speculation is not fair on them.  There are many reasons why people can't/don't speak out.  

We will leave this thread locked for now, but once again, let's please stick to discussion of ballet and dance.  

Thank you for your co-operation.

• Like 6