Further dance teacher training opportunities for RAD CBTS graduate?

Jessica2208

I am currently studying the RAD CBTS course, and want to explore other dance genres (modern and contemporary) to teach once I'm qualified. What teaching bodies would you recommend I look into to gain these qualifications? Would be great to hear your recommendations, how long is needed to gain these qualifications and what time/money investment is required? I am based in the Middle East, and so completing my RAD course through distance learning + one-on-one mentoring with a local RAD teacher here, so a similar option for modern and contemporary qualifications would be great. I've also started this journey a lot later than most do, so hoping you can help with the most straightforward routes. Thank you!

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Further dance teacher training opportunities for RAD CBTS graduate?

I would recommend the ISTD ( Imperial Society of Teachers of Dance) as a very reputable teaching body for Modern/ Jazz and tap ( if you were interested in that too). Most full time vocational schools do ISTD in the UK and some do both RAD and ISTD ballet. They are a little different and compliment each other. Maybe ring their headquarters and ask what types of study may be possible internationally. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, valentina said:

I would recommend the ISTD ( Imperial Society of Teachers of Dance) as a very reputable teaching body for Modern/ Jazz and tap ( if you were interested in that too). Most full time vocational schools do ISTD in the UK and some do both RAD and ISTD ballet. They are a little different and compliment each other. Maybe ring their headquarters and ask what types of study may be possible internationally. 

Thanks for the recommendation Valentina! I’ll reach out to them. Do you know generally how long it would take to gain this qualification in modern/jazz part-time? 

Im afraid I couldn’t tell you nowadays.

Back in the day when I was teaching, it was around 4/5 hours of practical work weekly in a studio over a year to gain an associate qualification ( basic teaching qualification) Nowadays, I believe there is a lot more written work and different choices of how you want to study.

• Like 1

The ISTD have launched an initiative for Contemporary teachers that might be suitable if you meet the criteria.

https://www.istd.org/join/about-membership/membership-types/contemporary-affiliate/

Teachers wishing to teach our Contemporary syllabus will need to attend one of our CPD courses, specifically designed to provide teachers with the insight and tools they need to teach this work to their students. Please note that syllabus resources are only available to purchase for those who have attended a course and include a DVD, CD and syllabus notes.’

https://www.istd.org/dance/dance-genres/contemporary/

Edited by CMcBallet
Clarification
  • Like 1

I don't know the details sorry, but I believe that several of the  dance organisations share a kind of mutual recognition scheme with the others whereby if you are qualified with one you can apply to be registered with the others, without having to go back to square one in the teacher training. As you aren't in the UK, I'd suggest contacting the ISTD and/or IDTA for advice as they both definitely have teachers in numerous countries and have syllabi in numerous genres.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...