Sickle support

DanceMamma

Hi all, DD has been struggling to correct a sickle when she can’t see her foot. She’s doing lots of strengthening exercises etc, but can’t work out which way to correct her foot when it’s out of sight (behind her etc). She ordinarily has great body awareness but this has thrown her! Does anyone know of any useful techniques for her to feel which way to correct? Stretchy tape maybe to feel the pull? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! 

I don’t know how old she is but I asked my child who is a teenager and they said; when she is in class commit all her focus to thinking about the sickle when she is working.

Over and over again.

My child had a problem with their bottom for just so long, so that was their focus when they danced until it was no longer a problem. It is sometimes easier says my child if you have an area where you are stuck to giving it a particular spotlight, rather than trying to perfect everything all at the same time.

If she could maybe also do some barre at home each day, or during the holidays, 15 mins. You be the teacher, no mirror and get her to practice, you give the corrections, so she starts to also feel what a non-sickled foot feels like.

There isn’t a quick fix, but she will get it after a while. X

Edited by NotadanceMa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MissEmily said:

Think about where the heel is facing. Inside of the heel down to the floor and really engage the turnout muscles under her bottom. Does she know the theraband exercises?

She’s doing all the exercises so hopefully it’ll improve! 

7 hours ago, NotadanceMa said:

I don’t know how old she is but I asked my child who is a teenager and they said; when she is in class commit all her focus to thinking about the sickle when she is working.

Over and over again.

My child had a problem with their bottom for just so long, so that was their focus when they danced until it was no longer a problem. It is sometimes easier says my child if you have an area where you are stuck to giving it a particular spotlight, rather than trying to perfect everything all at the same time.

If she could maybe also do some barre at home each day, or during the holidays, 15 mins. You be the teacher, no mirror and get her to practice, you give the corrections, so she starts to also feel what a non-sickled foot feels like.

There isn’t a quick fix, but she will get it after a while. X

Good idea! She’s 12 so would be able to make it a focus in her classes.

• Like 1