Scoliosis - A Secret in Plain Sight

JulieW

Hello friends - I know it's been a very long time since I posted but I really want to share this with you. 

My son's girlfriend has made a fantastic short dance film about scoliosis - it was released yesterday for International Scoliosis Awareness Day after raising money herself to fund the making of the film.  It's only 8 minutes long, but it's an emotional insight into the condition and how she feels about it.  It's followed by a "behind the scenes" film that's a bit longer but well worth listening to.  She particularly mentions Wendy Whelan who inspired her to not be scared of showing her spine on stage.  Please do share with others who might be interested.  Corey wasn't aware of her scoliosis until she was having photos taken for a summer school in her mid teens, but went on to train at Elmhurst Upper School, and dance professionally both abroad and in the UK.  Some of you might have seen her at "The Little Matchgirl" by Arthur Pita.  You're more than welcome to share it with friends on any social media platforms.

https://www.coreyclaireannand.com/works

• Like 5

My oldest son has scoliosis. He did non vocational ballet until he was 18. It was diagnosed at 16 following his ballet teacher noticing his back muscles weren’t symmetrical when he bent forwards. He was referred to a neurosurgeon and had a CXR and MRI. It was felt that he was fully grown and so was discharged. Four years ago during his Degree he started the process of joining the military. He declared his scoliosis and gave them the neurosurgeons report and MRI. He had never had any pain or other symptoms with his back. He played rugby and ran for his county. Following a medical examination he received a rejection letter. It was awful, he was devastated 😢 They said that his scoliosis would lead him to be limited and to have pain so he wasn’t suitable. He could have accepted that and moved on, but the military was his dream so he appealed against this decision. His neurosurgeon wrote a fantastic supporting letter to the military about scoliosis. Even informing them that Usain Bolt has exactly the same as Ds and he’s not doing too badly 🤣 Ds won his appeal and went on to complete his basic training and be awarded the Captains prize for the best recruit and PT Superior. Recently he was on deployment with the Marines and kept up with them 😅 He’s an ICU nurse by the way. 
We are so proud of his determination and perseverance in following his dream. There is very little understanding of scoliosis. 
Younger professional ballet dancing Ds has a mild scoliosis. It was noticed on a spinal MRI. But this hasn’t hindered him at all. I guess we just aren’t all perfect symmetrical beings ☺️ 

• Like 14

22 hours ago, alison said:

There were, I think, 3 NYCB ballerinas who had scoliosis -  Alexandra Ansanelli was one, but I can't remember the other.

Wendy mentions some in her interview

6 hours ago, FullContretemps said:

Wow, thank you for sharing. I have a friend with scoliosis (who dances) and she doesn't tell many people. I know it's different for everyone, but this is a beautifully made insight.

Please do share with friends and dance teachers. It was very moving wasn't it

• Like 1