Streaming on TV - audio query

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.  When I first started streaming ballet performances onto my "dumb" TV by connecting the laptop to it with an HDMI cable, the audio came through on the TV speakers as well.  However, the last few times I've tried, the TV has remained silent, and the audio has come through via the laptop.  Not only is it disconcerting to have the audio and video disconnected and coming from different areas of the room, but the laptop wasn't designed with hi-fi in mind, and the sound quality is pretty poor.  I'm not aware of having made any changes to the laptop settings which could have caused the change, although of course it's always possible that some update may have altered things.

Can someone suggest what I might need to tweak so that I can get the audio to transfer to the TV like the picture does, please?

34 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.  When I first started streaming ballet performances onto my "dumb" TV by connecting the laptop to it with an HDMI cable, the audio came through on the TV speakers as well.  However, the last few times I've tried, the TV has remained silent, and the audio has come through via the laptop.  Not only is it disconcerting to have the audio and video disconnected and coming from different areas of the room, but the laptop wasn't designed with hi-fi in mind, and the sound quality is pretty poor.  I'm not aware of having made any changes to the laptop settings which could have caused the change, although of course it's always possible that some update may have altered things.

Can someone suggest what I might need to tweak so that I can get the audio to transfer to the TV like the picture does, please?

What kind of operating system are you using?

If you click on the volume dodad on the task bar, it might show volume controls for two output devices, hdmi and pc speakers. Mute PC speaker and unmute hdmi. Alternatively, right click the dodad and check playback devices

I'd already clicked on the "volume dodad" and don't remember it showing anything other than "system sounds", "speakers" and "Firefox" (although I will double-check when next I'm plugged in).  But right-clicking looks rather more hopeful, so again, I'll try that the next time I'm all set up to stream.

Thanks, Trog.