How to watch Vimeo on a Smart TV

1.  Ensure that the app is available on your smart TV.

2.  You need a Vimeo account (free).

3.  Get the video up on Vimeo on your laptop using the password or URL you have been given.

4.  When it is on your laptop if you hover your mouse over the picture you should see on the top right hand side a heart and underneath it a symbol that looks like a clock.

5.  Click on that clock symbol (watch later).

6.  Make sure you are logged into your account on your smart tv.

7.  On the top right hand side you should be able to click on the corresponding watch later symbol.

8.  Bob's your uncle!!

Thanks to Bruce Wall and Jeanette for pointing me in the direction of Pennsylvania Ballet.  If I had read the email properly a week ago when I signed up for their live streams I would have known how to do it then.

I've just watched Glass Pieces on my TV and now am rewatching Connection.

Hopefully the above instructions should help people with the Covent Garden streams on Vimeo.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I participated in a research effort yesterday with ROH digital on how I would access streaming services at home.  Their assumption appears to be that home viewers would stream via Vimeo to their Smart TV.  Specifically they said:

“The aim of this research exercise is to evaluate how user friendly our participants find the process of selecting an online event to watch and then use our guidelines to view it via their smart televisions.“

My smart TV is pretty ancient so I use an HDMI cable to connect my iPad or laptop.  Then my ‘smart’ (haha) TV shows whatever I’ve got on my device.  Effectively it is just a slave screen, but larger.  They hadn’t had anyone else so far use this option.

I did stress how less intuitive Vimeo is vs YouTube, especially as most other dance/opera companies internationally stream via YouTube, and so we are all familiar with using it.  I also mentioned the problems people had accessing the Live concerts due to the specific ROH Vimeo account being different to one’s existing Vimeo account.  

I did also laugh at their reams of pages of instructions of ‘how to watch on your smart TV’.  Perhaps unfair of me, they are trying.  But why must everything be so complicated and un-user friendly.  

Rant over. 

24 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I did also laugh at their reams of pages of instructions of ‘how to watch on your smart TV’.  Perhaps unfair of me, they are trying.  But why must everything be so complicated and un-user friendly.  

Agree the Vimeo thing was over complicated. Can YouTube handle billing? I thought I read that was the reason the ROH was using Vimeo. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2020 at 00:47, oncnp said:

Agree the Vimeo thing was over complicated. Can YouTube handle billing? I thought I read that was the reason the ROH was using Vimeo. 

yes that may be a problem with YouTube.  I’ve been wondering why ROH don’t embed their videos on their own website like Met Opera, Mariinsky Theatre TV, Stuttgart Ballet, etc?  

That way it would be way easier to find 🧐 and they could add payment there too.

It’s how I pay to watch movies on Curzon Home Cinema https://curzonhomecinema.com/

The priority should be to choose the easiest form of access for the user (ever hopeful)

• Like 1

it seems that Vimeo can be accessed via an Amazon Fire stick. I've just watched the opera programme with no problems at all. Just entered the link sent by the ROH on the Internet app on he Fire stick and it worked beautifully. Vimeo must have done something as the first couple of programmes were a bit of a shambles.But I agree, the system used for the Met, Maryinsky, is easier, although I haven't tried to watch one of the Met's paid recitals.