Press Release: BRB Principal Brandon Lawrence hosts Choreography Challenge for BBOdance to be judged by Sir David Bintley

Jan McNulty

image012.jpg.f95a4c49ec6900172efe849ec4f3ceee.jpg

Brandon Lawrence © Johan Persson

Birmingham Royal Ballet Principal,
Brandon Lawrence
hosts Choreography Challenge
to stimulate students' creativity
during lockdown

Birmingham Royal Ballet Principal, Brandon Lawrence, has launched an online choreography challenge to stimulate students' creativity and support their psychological wellbeing during lockdown.

The dance community has been especially hit, with dance schools across the world closed and events, exams, and auditions postponed. Despite the proactive attitude of many dance teachers who now deliver online classes, many students report feeling lonely and missing what they call, their 'dance families'.

The ballet dancer knows this all too well, as BRB has also had to adapt to support the morale of its artists and audience. However, as a performing artist, he also sees a silver lining, as this unprecedented break provides him the time to reflect on his craft and find creative ways to express himself.

"I felt it was extremely important to connect the bbodance family during this challenging time, especially since Dance Days was postponed. Everyone was looking forward to it. Many professional dancers and companies have been creating dance online; I wanted to make it extra special for bbodance members to be part of their very own piece of original dance. I urge you to let your creativity run wild!"

This is the challenge that Brandon brings to the students of bbodance, the organisation that trained him, and to whom he has been especially committed since becoming its youngest Patron two years ago. Since then, he has taught students, inspired graduates, and gained the esteem of longstanding bbodance supporters.

The Online Choreographic Challenge is open to students of bbodance teachers from across the world; 
all genres, ages, and abilities are welcome. Students have to express what lockdown means to them by choreographing one of three pieces of music commissioned from the award-winning composer, Andrew Kristy especially for this challenge. Entries close on 3 July.

Brandon will edit all submissions into a film illustrating the students' collective experience; in addition, there will be a winner for each of the three pieces of music. Winners will receive special prizes delivered in partnership with Dansez, 
a sustainable dancewear brand that fights marine pollution.

Originally from Bradford, Brandon Lawrence was trained by a bbodance teacher and was one of the organisation's top students, a bbodance Scholar, prior to being accepted into 
The Royal Ballet School. He was promoted to BRB Principal last year. 

This creative project comes shortly after bbodance's 90th anniversary, when Patrons, members, and friends from around the world came together for a warm online celebration.

– ENDS –

About bbodance

Founded 90 years ago by Edouard Espinosa and formerly known as the British Ballet Organization (BBO), bbodance is an international dance awarding organisation with a large membership in the UK and Australasia. bbodance provides Ofqual-recognised syllabi in Musical Theatre, Jazz, Contemporary, Classical Ballet, Modern, and Tap, as well as comprehensive dance teacher training and inspiring events for students and teachers. bbodance Patrons include Strictly Come Dancing Judge, Craig Revel Horwood, former Artistic Director of Rambert, Mark Baldwin OBE, and BRB Principal, Brandon Lawrence, a former bbodance Scholar.

About Brandon Lawrence

Born in Bradford, Brandon Lawrence started training at age 8 at Nydza School of Dance; due to his exceptional performance, he was accepted into the organisation's elite group of students, the bbodance Scholars. After attending the Yorkshire Ballet Summer School, Brandon auditioned for The Royal Ballet School, where he trained until age 19, when he was offered a contract by Birmingham Royal Ballet Artistic Director, David Bintley CBE. According to an interview, Brandon was keen to accept this offer due to BRB's reputation for being an ideal place to grow as a dancer. Brandon was promoted to Soloist in 2016, Senior Soloist in 2018, and Principal in 2019; he is best known for roles in Frederick Ashton’s The Dream, Peter Wright's Swan Lake, and David Bintley’s The Prince of the Pagodas. Brandon is also involved in BRB's Ballet? What’s That? educational events that aim to introduce people to the art form. Two years ago, Brandon performed at Buckingham Palace for HRH The Prince of Wales.

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Press Release: Birmingham Royal Ballet Principal, Brandon Lawrence, hosts Choreography Challenge to stimulate students' creativity during lockdown
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Press Release: BRB Principal Brandon Lawrence hosts Choreography Challenge for BBOdance to be judged by Sir David Bentley

image010.jpg.ea2de2e918df48cca0cf50146deaa7e1.jpg

Sir David Bintley coaching students in Birmingham © Ty Singleton

Sir David Bintley, CBE to judge
lockdown Choreography Challenge for students
created by BRB Principal,
Brandon Lawrence

Internationally acclaimed choreographer and former Artistic Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet (BRB), Sir David Bintley, CBE will judge an online Choreography Challenge for students together with its creator, Brandon Lawrence.

Currently featured on the July cover of The Dancing Times, BRB Principal, Brandon Lawrence created this challenge to support students' psychological wellbeing during lockdown and stimulate their creativity.

The challenge is open to students of bbodance, an international dance awarding organisation of which Brandon is Patron. Sir David Bintley joined as Vice President less than a year ago.

"I am delighted and excited by Brandon’s challenge to all aspiring young choreographers. I’m only sorry that, as I’ve agreed to be Judge, I won’t be able to enter myself, as the current lockdown has me aching to flex my own choreographic muscles! Good Luck everyone!" Sir David said.

"Having worked closely with David throughout my time at BRB, I couldn’t be more honoured to have his expertise brought to our challenge. It’s important more than ever to keep our world alive with Creation," Brandon said.

The Online Choreographic Challenge is open to students of bbodance teachers from across the world. Students have to express what lockdown means to them by choreographing one of three original pieces created by the award-winning composer, Andrew KristyEntries close on 3 July.

bbodance, the organisation that trained Brandon Lawrence, has recently celebrated its 90th anniversary.

– ENDS –

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Press Release: BRB Principal Brandon Lawrence hosts Choreography Challenge for BBOdance to be judged by Sir David Bintley
  • 2 weeks later...