White Lodge Summer Intensive.

Motomum

Hi all,

My child 11 is on w1 non-res of WL Summer Intensive.

Could anyone who’s child has done an Intensive at WL give me some information about what to expect.

I would like to know is the day really well structured, what are the approx size of the classes, are the children supervised well in downtime.

I am asking because my child has autism, RBS are aware, as my child is an associate with them. 

My child isn’t staying on in the evenings, they will be finishing after the last dance class of the afternoon.

I am able to contact the Pastoral Care contact a few days before the course starts and make support arrangements with them should they arise. They were fabulous with my child at the WL finals, really supportive and accommodating.

It would be v helpful for me to help my child prepare to know more from the parent perspective, not just the official RBS information given. 😊

i have some idea of how organised RBS are as my child has done workshops with them at Covent Garden, so am hoping for more of the same on the Intensive.

TIA.

Hi. My Dc has done a couple of Summer intensives as a non- resident. The day is well structured and organised as you would expect.

There are 4 classes throughout the day. 2 before lunch and 2 in the afternoon. It is an exhausting schedule and my Dc was too tired to do anything in the evening apart from a bath! There are some small events that take place in the evenings such as a film or disco which you can stay for if you wish ( just let them know at morning registration) but check park closing times at night for pick up. There is very little time that the students are not supervised and it’s all about the dancing.

my daughter was boarding last year ( then year 6 at school ) and had great time-kept busy and from what here only down time was meal times and moving between classes, lots of social at night  and made great buddies and had a total blast-going again this year in week 2  boarding again  and so excited again, i didnt hear anything negative about the week from her  and to be honest barely heard from her during the week apart from a few texts lol

Motomum, I admire your ability to let your child go- my daughter will be there 2 weeks so older, and my husband will have a hard time saying goodbye for the two weeks!

On that note, does anybody have experience with the 2 week program? Specifically we are trying to plan for bringing enough towels, Leos and tights with no laundry available.  Are planning to have her hand wash the tights and Leo’s but not sure about how to dry them.

Also they are saying their free day is Monday, so we are assuming they dance on Saturday and Sunday?

Thanks!

I have had a very reassuring conversation with the Intensive organiser Ana Carlsen. She has been lovely.

The issues for my child are never the dancing, it’s the other bits that are trickier for them to navigate; but only initially.

Found out the class will consist of 28 children, 18 of which are JA’s, so my child will probably know most of them. 5 are non-residential.

My child super excited now which is a relief. 😁

• Like 4

Good luck to your DC - I'm sure it will all be hugely positive experience for all!

Really interesting to hear th18 of 28 are all JA's....which does suggest that most are UK based DC's....

Perhaps it's just the older years which have a very high % of overseas students?

Gave up on waiting on the SWL for the impossible 'Golden Ticket' of a place coming free so family holiday instead for us!

On 03/07/2019 at 15:35, MPatti said:

Motomum, I admire your ability to let your child go- my daughter will be there 2 weeks so older, and my husband will have a hard time saying goodbye for the two weeks!

On that note, does anybody have experience with the 2 week program? Specifically we are trying to plan for bringing enough towels, Leos and tights with no laundry available.  Are planning to have her hand wash the tights and Leo’s but not sure about how to dry them.

Also they are saying their free day is Monday, so we are assuming they dance on Saturday and Sunday?

Thanks!

My DS went last year for the two week course (he'd just turned 14 then) and he could wash his dance cloths, which I think he did (he is a boarder at the Berlin State Ballet School, so is very independent when it comes to domestic chores:)). We bought him microfaser (trekking) towels, as they don't take up so much space and dry quite quickly. And yes they danced Sat and Sun. He loved it, was sad he couldn't go this year due to his school holiday being timed differently.

• Like 1