Press Release: Press Release: Northern Ballet appoints Kenneth Tindall to Artistic Staff

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Press Release: Press Release: Northern Ballet appoints Kenneth Tindall to Artistic Staff

X:\Media and PR\Press Releases\Template\Press release header template.jpg

For immediate release

31 May 2018

Northern Ballet appoints Kenneth Tindall to Artistic Staff

Northern Ballet has appointed Kenneth Tindall as its Artistic Director of Digital and Choreographer in Residence. The role will see Tindall guide Northern Ballet in its ambition to produce more work for digital platforms. He will also help tonurture choreographic talent and will take on new choreographic commissions for the Company. 

Tindall was a Premier Dancer with Northern Ballet where he performed for over 10 years before retiring to focus on his work as a choreographer. He created several short works for the Company before staging his first full-length work, the award-winning Casanova, which premièred in 2017 and was broadcast on Sky Arts in April 2018. Tindall has worked internationally creating new work for companies and has been recognised with several awards and nominations, most recently being nominated for his choreography for Casanova at the National Dance Awards 2017.

As Artistic Director of Digital, Tindall will spearhead the Company’s new programme to create dance exclusively and especially for digital, pushing the boundaries of how the artform can be captured to give audiences an experience that is distinct from that of live performance. Further details about Northern Ballet’s ambitious digital plans are to be announced.

As Choreographer in Residence Tindall will create new work for the Company for both the live stage and its direct to digital work. He will also continue to be involved in Northern Ballet’s choreographic development projects, such as the Company’s pioneering Choreographic Workshops which he co-curated this year with Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. 

David Nixon OBE said: ‘I am very pleased to have the possibility of retaining the very talented Kenneth Tindall within the Northern Ballet family. The digital aspirations for the Company opened up the possibility of extending creative work to Kenneth and continuing the imaginative and fertile journey he has been on with the Company, not only through choreography but other creative ambitions. He is the perfect person to take on this role.’

Kenneth Tindall said: ‘I am hugely excited and full of enthusiasm to take on these new roles with Northern Ballet. I look forward to working with David Nixon and the whole of the Company, offering lots of new and exciting collaborations in both the live and digital mediums. I’m honoured to become part of Northern Ballet once again in the lead up to the 50thanniversary of this great company and would like to give my sincerest thanks to David Nixon and Mark Skipper for their belief in me and giving me the opportunity to keep learning and developing as a choreographer and director.’

Kenneth Tindall will create a new work for Northern Ballet’s Mixed Programme to be performed in Leeds and Doncaster in September. See northernballet.com/mp18 for details.

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

Artistic Director – David Nixon OBE

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and world-class storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing world-class story ballets to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet’s Company of 46 dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at almost 50 venues annually.

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson

National Tour Sponsor

GetFile?v=1&signature=rm4nAxWlbHQGNyIoPX 

• Like 1