RIP Ivor Guest

In the very early days of ballet.co we had the pleasure of republishing one of Mr Guest's articles from Richard Buckle's Ballet magazine - it was a piece called 'Babbage's Ballet' and we thought it very appropriate that a pioneer online ballet site should publish something about a computer pioneer's idea for a ballet. Mr Guest kindly gave his permission, though we had to wait to hear from him till he returned from a world cruise celebrating his retirement! It finally went live on our pages 21 years ago this month.

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 7

Sad news. My thoughts go to his wife, Ann Hutchinson-Guest. It just so happens that next on my reading list is his book, 'The Romantic Ballet in Paris'. Having briefly skimmed through, it looks fabulously detailed and rich. He did so much for this art form that we all adore. Thank you, Ivor Guest. 

Arguably, the greatest ballet historian of the last decades. I wish other people who write about ballet and dance had his love for the subject. According to his own admission, the cozy interiors of the Opéra archives at Palais Garnier were his "home in Paris". In recent years, unfortunately, the state of his health made contacts with him impossible which I regret very much.

• Like 2

On 05/04/2018 at 18:21, Jane S said:

In the very early days of ballet.co we had the pleasure of republishing one of Mr Guest's articles from Richard Buckle's Ballet magazine - it was a piece called 'Babbage's Ballet' and we thought it very appropriate that a pioneer online ballet site should publish something about a computer pioneer's idea for a ballet.

Much to my surprise I've discovered that this piece is still preserved online - it's here if anyone's interested.

• Like 2