Wonderful studio showcase

Kate_N

I just wanted to share with you all what a wonderful day I had yesterday at my home studio's showcase. I wasn't dancing! (no-one should have to pay to see me dance :P ) although my adult ballet, street & jazz classes did all do a number. But I've done with performing, and much prefer being backstage.

So I was the studio director's runner - bringing troupes of children up & down the stairs from their dressing rooms to the stage. Exhausting 3 hours, but so so worth it!

It made me realise again that raising children in the theatre, involved in dance or am-dram or whatever, is such a wonderful way for children to learn. The right sort of discipline: self-discipline & perseverance to achieve ambitions. Looking after others & collaborating to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts. That learning happens in all sorts of ways, and the everyone can participate in a beautiful art form of dance of all kinds. We all know this - I think it's such a shame that dance has the air of "elite" and only for "posh" people. 

Even down to the youngest child, the children were disciplined, attentive, polite, sweet and so so dedicated. It was a joy (although I did then go to bed at 8:30pm and not wake up until 7:30 this morning!)

Anyway, just wanted to share with you all, my dance friends.

• Like 23

Congrats on your great day.

I must echo your sentiment on discipline and perseverance. It also brings a poise and elegance that very little else can match. I see so many truly dedicated and confident children and young adults at DD's school, that it can't be a coincidence.

• Like 1

I'm producer of our school play.  There are many (many!) long evenings and weekends when I wonder why on earth I let it take over my life.

But, just one word of thanks from a child who I know is fragile, damaged, or simply having a hard time and I know.  For some, it is a shining moment in a difficult life, when they are, as you say, part of something where the whole is greater than the parts.

In the mean time, if anyone knows where I can get hold of some large  domed serving dishes ..

• Like 7