6th form drama course at The Hammond

Harwel

Does anyone on here know much about the 6th form drama course at The Hammond? Is it a recent course, is it a good grounding for getting into drama colleges, is there singing within the course?

We have looked at Tring drama at 16, but this course was new to me.  Are there any other similar courses around?  My younger son wants to be an actor/singer and we have a year before auditions and I'm trying to gather information about something I know little about. I'm sure someone here will know more than me!  I will check out 'not a pushy mum' but I don't find it a very satisfactory forum generally. 

I can't tell you much about the content of the course but it has been around at least 6 years as it was already going when my DD started there on the diploma course.  My DD made several friends from the drama course as I believe they do 2 A levels alongside the drama and she met them in A level classes. All the ones she knows are singers and as well as separate performances for the drama students with a variety of genres there were opportunities to perform in musical theatre alongside the MT students. When my DD was there dance and MT students had different performance opportunities and I don't know how the introduction of the BA Honours degree affects things.

As for grounding for drama colleges - I would say yes. I know there is a list of destinations of the drama students on the Hammond website. DDs friends went onto to Guildford ,Mountview, RADA. Fourth Monkey amongst others although not everyone chooses to pursue drama - some have gone onto MT courses, music courses or more conventional university degrees (from their A level subjects)

I'd recommended attending one of their drama course open days to get your questions answered. There is usually one in October each year

Edited by 2dancersmum
added open day info

Thank you 2dm.  I have now booked onto the open day, I also find it's helpful to speak to/ get info from past/current students as they are on the ground and can share their experiences that may not be apparent on open days.  I do not know The Hammond at all (ds come across some dancers on various courses) for drama.  It's good to know that he will be able to keep up his singing as there is not much mention of that in the course details.  

My drama son will definitely be trying Tring as we know it so well but it would be great to have another comparable option. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

My son is on the course at the moment , please message me if you have any specific questions and I will try to help. He has had some amazing performance opportunities  alongside students on both the diploma and BA courses. 

Edited by GillyM
  • Like 1

Dd is a lower school Hammond dancer & in a couple of years time I will definitely be advising ds to look at the Hammond drama course. 

Last year when the school did Miss Saigon there were several drama lead roles including one of the Kim's. 

I'd be interested to hear more about Tring's MT course, as Dd had been very interested in applying but following attendance at a recent summer school is not so sure now. 

Thank you pictures, he is very much looking forward to the open morning.  

He likes the idea of going somewhere different to his brother.

if I can offer any advice about the MT course at Tring I'm happy to tell you what I know.  Ds has many friends on the course and as he is home this weekend I can find out anything you may like to know.  Pm me any specific queries. 

• 4 weeks later...

Non ds and dh really liked the Hammond this morning.  They seemed to have all their questions answered and the academic side, while limited in A'level choice, perfect for our son. It will help focus his mind as he won't audition until this time next year. 

• Like 4