Young British Dancer of the Year Award - why stopped?

Goldenlily17

Does anyone know the reason why the Young British Dancer of the Year Award has been stopped? It was such a valuable opportunity for British classical ballet dancers.

I believe the sponsorship was withdrawn ... as you say a real shame :(

The Royal Ballet School does not offer enough performance opportunities to British students, which puts them at a disadvantage when they are compared to international students who have been strongly promoted at international competitions by high-profile coaches. It is hardly surprising therefore that so many British students are rejected at the end of their time in the Lower School and replaced by international students in the Upper School. There is something very wrong going on here.

• Like 5

Hello GoldenLily, I have slightly amended the title and have moved the topic to the more appropriate Doing Dance forum.

I see you have also posted similar comments in the BBC Young Dancer thread in the News Forum.  It is best to keep similar posts together in one topic rather than spreading them around.

I have no specific knowledge but I would have assumed that all the students at the RBS are given the same opportunities to audition for appropriate roles at both RB and BRB.