Amazon Prime/Lovefilm

I just had a cozy Sunday afternoon watching the Bolshoi Pharoah's Daughter free to view with Amazon Prime. I assume it will also be free on LoveFilm. It is the 2003 French film with Filin, Zakharova and Alexandrova so it was extra special to remember what a superb dancer Sergei Filin was and to see the youthful Zakharova and Alexandrova. Accepting the silly plot, it is a superb vehicle for lots of very challenging choreography, exquisitely performed.

• Like 2

Ah, LoveFilm.  I really used to like them, until Amazon took them over and seemingly couldn't be bothered with them.  My main reason for signing up with them in the first place was because of all the ballet DVDs I could get hold of - plus the odd box set of a TV series I was very keen on.  Blockbuster never had either.  I don't have the bandwidth to make Amazon Prime an option, unfortunately :(

I just had a cozy Sunday afternoon watching the Bolshoi Pharoah's Daughter .............accepting the silly plot, it is a superb vehicle for lots of very challenging choreography, exquisitely performed.

Gail, I have the blu-ray of this and find it an exceptional release; the dancing is just fantastic.  The weakest link to me is the rather generic music. Now this may be utter heresy and get me banned from the forum  :D  but I often watch this disc while running on my treadmill, replacing the sound with a CD of 'euphoric trance anthems'.  For some reason the modern dance music fits the rhythm of the dancers perfectly, particularly the corps scenes, and the overall effect is surreal but brilliant! 

btw, Alison - I still use Lovefilm but I also have Prime, so maybe they only come bundled together now.  Aside its ballet dvds, I find Lovefilm still pretty good for getting hold of relatively obscure foreign language films that don't tend to appear on the streaming sites.

Edited by Quintus