Saint Petersburg Classic Ballet?

Looking through some of the SE London theatre brochures, I see that this "renowned" company is making its first UK tour.  I've never heard of them - does anyone know anything about them?

They were formed in 1996, and are touring Giselle, Nutcracker and Swan Lake to at least Wimbledon, Bromley and Croydon.  Their AD is Marine Medvetskaya, they have "superb artistry", have "won plaudits across Russia, Scandinavia and the US", are apparently touring a full orchestra and have "outstanding male soloists who will take your breath away" (nothing is said about the female ones!).  Apparently their dancers have often guested with Moscow City Ballet, and the Giselle and Nutcracker productions are those of Victor Smirnov-Golovanov, who I think used to run MCB?

I put the above together from the various brochures, but wondered whether anyone has actually seen them, and can report back, or knew any more about them?  I certainly shan't be going to see them in Croydon, because my pockets just don't stretch that deep.

• Like 1

The companies I always avoid are The Russian State Ballet and Opera (rolling around in a sheet on the stage does not constitute the morning pas de deux in ROMEO and JULIET, and they always make me think of those restaurants that do both Chinese and Indian food), and The Rusian State ballet of Siberia, whose SWAN LAKE at the Bristol Hippodrome I shall never forget for the reason that I was sat up in the gods and could see very clearly that whilst the principles were doing their very best, the corps de ballet was mucking about at the back of the stage, chatting and pushing each other over.

I will go and see any ballet that comes to a theatre local to me, indeed I go and see the local dancing schools' performances, and will enjoy anything, so long as they are trying their best, but I cannot forgive not trying.

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 1