Danceworks beginners ballet class

munchkin16

Has anyone tried the beginners ballet class at danceworks on a Tuesday at 4:30pm. Think it's taught by Christina-Maria Mittelmaier? Just wondering what people thought of the class and what level it was actually aimed at as open classes can be tricksy! Thanks!

Edited by munchkin16

I had a long post about this earlier today, and my web browser crashed & I lost it!

I attend Ms Mittelmaier's Intermediate class when I'm working in London (which is usually over the weekend). I go to her Sunday morning class. There is a good mix of levels, although it's a pretty true Intermediate class, I'd say: you need to have a fair knowledge of steps & technique, and be prepared to be quite quick at picking up combinations. I'm at about the bottom of the middle group of ability I think - I can do everything but sometimes need a bit more time to pick up combinations in the centre, especially in petit allegro. But that's partly because the studio is more crowded than I'm used to, so not much room to mark.

There are people who are struggling with the technique a lot more than I do, but they are encouraged and corrected, just as much as the dancers obviously in vocational training or with professional training.

The main thing in my experience is that Ms Mittelmaier gives a really lovely dancey class. On Sunday, there is a live pianist who is fantastic (and quite a character, but very nice about letting me put my glasses on the piano for safety). The barre is carefully thought through as a preparation for combinations in the centre, and she gives lovely flowing combinations, involving arms & upper back at the barre, so we develop a more responsive ports de bras in the centre.

So going by the Intermediate level, I'd say that the Beginner would be much slower & less complex, but equally flowing & well thought out.

The thing about open classes in studios such as Danceworks is that you can't actually learn from scratch in them. I think you need to do a termly course, such as at Morley College, RAD, or ENB. But if you know the basics, then I think you'd be very well taught in Ms Mittelmaier's class.

The Beginner's class where I KNOW anyone will be well taught and be given guidance on the basics as well, is Hannah Frost's class. I have become such a fan of her teaching: I do the Beginners' class whenever I'm in London, and it's tough, even if we don't do a lot in terms of complicated steps or combinations. She is *excellent* at corrections and getting your alignment right. She does hands on corrections. She positively welcomes new people in the class, and gives sound advice to them about going about 3 or 4 classes before making any sort of judgement - she warns them that ballet feels "weird" when you first do it.  We also are encouraged to give new people doing their first ballet lesson a round of applause at the end, which is lovely I think. My alignment & hips and ports de bras are improving through her influence . She gives hands on corrections, and for me is very good at small adjustments that really help.

While Renato Paroni is not teaching in London, she is my number 1 favourite London teacher - although I still find that Mr Paroni class eaves me the most turned out I have ever been!

Edited by Kate_N