Turnout discs

SBallerina

I use them as a teaching tool. Extremely valuable for younger student to 'find their turnout' in standing, and for older students to strengthen/maintain their turnout on their supporting leg. Also very handy in injury rehabilitation for regaining control and proprioception. Align-Pilates do wooden versions for £60 a pair, but I've also bought a couple of cheaper 'twist boards' when I saw them on sale in Tesco's which work just as well, and are a lot lighter! ( they're sold for standing on one circular board with both feet and 'twisting' at the waist, supposedly to tone one's waist!)- A quick online search has seen some on Amazon for £8 each.

Functional Footprints are the best (http://www.functionalfootprints.com/) but I'm not sure if they're available in the UK...

• Like 1

Put the discs slightly apart and stand with one foot on the centre of each board (feet parallel -facing forwards) - hold onto something for safety - rotate legs so that legs turn out and feet are in second position. Make sure lower abdominals are engaged so that the pelvis is in a neutral alignment. Try a small plie and try to stop the discs from moving. As you stretch your legs again, try to keep rotation even. 

More advanced dancers can try standing on one of the discs on one leg and attempt tendus, fondus, ronds de jambe, developpes etc.