Studying dance at uni

anondancer_15

I did a degree in dance at uni after previously having graduated from a vocational school and danced professionally.

There are many different pathways you can take afterwards but it mostly depends on what you feel confident to do, which is partly influenced by your experience prior to the course.

Many graduates work freelance, performing in small scale tours, teaching workshops in schools, running youth dance groups, community groups and after school clubs. They build portfolio careers and are often involved in several projects at a time.

Some from my course went on to do a PGCE in dance and became dance teachers in secondary schools teaching GCSE and A level, others did a PGCE in primary teaching and became primary school teachers.

There is also the possibility to further your academic study by continuing with an MA course or going into dance research.

Some graduates set up their own dance schools, especially if they are qualified to teach syllabus classes.

Others I know of teach in further education colleges and a small number work in the field of dance therapy.

When researching the various degree course options, pay attention to graduate destinations which are often listed in the information section. If they're not, ask.

• Like 1

Edge Hill University is one I keep seeing mentioned when DD and I have been checking out various dance companies. A lot of their graduates seem to be in performing/teaching positions often small companies taking workshops into schools or in contemporary projects. As for the course compared to vocational schools - my DD is doing the Trinity diploma in professional dance at vocation school and her week is almost 100% practical ie dancing. The academic part of her course is approx. 25% and is mostly done in her own time. I don't know if it is the same at other vocational schools but she certainly does not have a number of weekly lectures. The university courses seem to be a mixture of practical, lectures and seminars. No personal experience though - just what I have read or heard about.

A friends daughter is in her first year at Roehampton and is absolutely loving the course, they are located the opposite side of Richmond Park to White Lodge and I believe staff from WL come across to take ballet classes weekly.  The training does seem very good and a wide spectrum of dance is covered. 

• Like 1