UK DANCE CLASS Championships

Balletforever

Unfortunately they don't do them in the South of England so we can't although my daughter would like to. However we have been to the Southern Dance Class Awards which are similar and found them to be a great experience. I am still hoping the UK Dance Class Championships will also start down here as I am more than happy for my daughter to do both. 

So obviously I can't comment on specifics but my daughter is very quick with picking up choreography and so found this type of competition rewarded her. There were others there who I gather win loads at festivals but really struggled with picking up the choreography quickly and remembering it. It was really nice for my daughter to have a chance to shine so I would certainly give them a go if you can.

and if anyone from UK Dance Class Championships is reading this please come to the south coast.

Hi Balletforever 

My Daughter and her dance school have been to 2 of these competitions and they really enjoyed them. Not sure how much detail you would like .... but the venue is usually a school gym or similar so there is plenty of space for dancers and parents who are able to watch the whole event - for an admission fee of course. The dancers are split by age into about 4 groups and there have been 50 + in each age group at the events I have been to. There have been 3 main genres to compete in : tap, modern and ballet . The dancers start in a large group and are taught a 'routine' by  a teacher at the front  - the lines rotate so everyone gets a change to be on the front . Once learned they perform the routine in rows . All of this is infront of a panel of 'judges who tended to walk around the hall so they could see everyone ! After all the 'first' rounds they announce the dancers by number who have made it through to the 'semi final' . I think they learned a different routine for that .. but same format .. and then they call the finalists who dance again before they placed the top 6 in reverse order . It's the same process for all 3 genres . There is also a commercial class which runs in a different room again split by age and I believe that they also award places for that but that seems more 'low key' .

I found the  day to be run really well and efficiently . The teachers were great and my daughter enjoyed the challenge of picking up the routines .I would agree with Mrs Brown that as its a different style of comp to a festival, different dancers can be rewarded which is also nice !  I also think it was v useful prep for my daughter prior to starting her auditions this year .( not a classical course) 

I hope thit helps - happy to answer any other questions 🙂