Anterior pelvic tilt

ArucariaBallerina

Hello wise forum members,

i am desperate for a solution to my anterior pelvic tilt (back ward tilt) as the rest of my posture is fine and then it is all ruined by a curvy, sticky out pelvis! Does anybody have any ideas? I try my best to tuck under for all exercises, but especially when I am standing still, in fifth/first position or tendu for example, I cannot get it under. My dance teacher recommended strengthening my lower abs which I am currently doing, but it is really getting me down! She also mentioned  that I have little mobility in my pelvis and to practise 'twerking' (which is a bit embarrassing, but if it works..) and my mum has told me to thrust against the wall! It is fine in day to day life, and when I plié or turn in it is absolutely straight and centred... It's just when I am standing still in a straight position. So if you have any pelvic mobility advice and anterior tilt advice, please please please comment/PM/whatnot!

Leading on on from that, does anybody have any dance physio suggestions (preferably near the North West?) I thought it may be useful to identify any key problems sooner rather than later, but I don't have an injury, I just want a spinal/pelvic check! 

I hope this doesn't sound really annoying, happy January to everybody!

❤️

Try to find a knowledgeable Pilates teacher that can give you a private lesson on finding neutral and engaging your glutes.  Tucking under is as bad for you as anterior tilt - neutral spine needed - also check that your hip flexors (psoas mainly) aren’t overly tight, that can pull you into an anterior tilt. 

• Like 3

Using lower abdominal muscles is vital in achieving the pelvic alignment required in classical ballet. Try lying on your back with your knees bend and feet flat on the floor, and then using your abdominal muscles to draw your tummy towards your spine, and your spine towards the floor. If it helps, you can slip your hand under the arch in your lower back and then try to squash it. To make this harder, do it with your legs extended, and to make it harder still, put your arms above your head. 

• Like 4

I’d reiterate Harwel’s advice that tucking under is not the solution to the backwards tilt. Tucking will limit the mobility of your legs and

lower spine. I always have to think of pulling up off my hips and “zipping up” my ribs to stop my pelvis from tipping out of alignment. I have to think about the front of my body mostly. But also something a very experienced teacher keeps saying to our class is to think about trying to make your back longer than your front. It makes me think about lengthening rather than tucking. The visualisation can help I find, to keep my alignment relatively stable. 

• Like 4

Thank you to everybody! I spoke to my associates teacher today and she basically confirmed everything that you have all said. I will do your exercise/s @drdance , is it best to hold the position or keep contracting/releasing? And thank you @Harwel and @Kate_N, your suggestions make a lot of sense. I have always been told to 'pull up out of my hips' too! My Associates teacher gave me 3 points of the body to 'pull in' (lower abs, and low lower back above each leg) and at the start of class told us to lie on our tummies and suck the abs in until there is a gap between the stomach and the floor, and then recreate that position in barre

• Like 4