Random Question - Choreographer

PrincessandtheFrog

Random question but if you choreographed a dance how would you get a ballet company to perform it such as the Bolshoi or Royal Ballet? Would you have to have danced with the company or work your way up or choreograph for smaller companies first (but how would you get them to perform it though)or get a degree? This remains a mystery to me and I have know clue how choreographers have their work performed. Sorry for my little rambled but I have wondered about this for ages.

If it's a new work, you don't choreograph it and then get a company to perform it, you get commissioned by a company to choreograph for them.

Often, choreographers already have a connection with the company, either through previously performing with them or having worked with the AD before. Lots of choreographers start choreographing while still dancing with companies and get experience that way.

It's a hard field to get into. You need lots of contacts and opportunities for getting your work seen. There are platforms for new work which you can apply to have your piece performed in alongside pieces by other choreographers. That's a good way to start getting your work out there and making a name for yourself but it's a long road.

• Like 1

At Scottish Ballet Friends events, they've sometimes mentioned this, the artistic director maybe had the idea he wants a new full length ballet & thinks who he'd like to get to do it, based on work they've seen/someone they've worked with. And the artistic director choreographs things, not sure how he would decide which ones he'd do, I'm sure there's complicated business decisions around that! Several of the dancers in SB start choreographing on their colleagues for small scale events/shows/competitions - I think they've had pieces used now & again for mixed Bill shows.

• Like 1