Press Release: Capturing the art – Northern Ballet featured in new photography exhibition

Capturing the art – Northern Ballet featured in new photography exhibition

Northern Ballet will be the focus of an exciting new photography exhibition, Avant, taking place at The Gallery in the newly renovated Munro House, Leeds from 30 March to 11 April 2015. The exhibition, which is FREE to attend, is a collection of behind-the-scenes photographs that illustrate the dedication, professionalism and endeavour of the world of modern ballet through contemporary documentary and portrait photography. Avant is the result of an ongoing partnership between Leeds-based photographer Justin Slee and award-winning Northern Ballet.

Over the past five years Northern Ballet has granted editorial and portrait photographer Justin Slee privileged backstage access to rehearsals; including the creation of some of the Company’s most recent work, performances in theatres and some of the work of the Academy of Northern Ballet and the Company’s Learning department.

Justin Slee is a portrait and documentary photographer working in the areas of editorial and commercial photography. His style has a strong design aesthetic with a clean composition. As a former design graduate his eye is drawn to the unusual and to the detail. Having worked in visual image making for a large period of his career, he always looks to communicate a strong story and moment with his photography.

Justin said, ‘Northern Ballet is a wonderful artistic company and the work they produce is a truly inspiring subject matter to record as a photographer. Having regular access to witness the Company’s daily work has been a fantastic opportunity and a huge visual inspiration to me. The unprecedented access I have had has allowed me to witness the commitment, people and process behind creating outstanding dance productions.’

David Nixon OBE, Northern Ballet’s Artistic Director said, ‘I’m delighted Justin is bringing together a collection of his work to share with the public. I was fascinated to look through the vast amount of images Justin has taken of the Company over recent years, they really capture some very special behind the scenes moments.’

Ellie Andrews, Gallery Owner said, ‘The Gallery at Munro House is an independent gallery that champions and supports local artists and photographers as well as working to bring artists to Yorkshire from further afield. We are thrilled and proud to be hosting Justin Slee in what is a compelling and striking body of work.’

The Gallery will be open: 
Monday 30 March – Thursday 2 April 10am – 6pm
Friday 3 April (Good Friday10am – 4pm
Saturday 4 April CLOSED
Sunday 5 April CLOSED
Monday 6 April CLOSED Bank Holiday
Tuesday 7 - Saturday 11 April 10am – 6pm

-ENDS-