Press Release: Darren Goldsmith says farewell after 21 years with Northern Ballet

Darren Goldsmith says farewell after 21 years with Northern Ballet

Northern Ballet’s Principal Character Artist, Darren Goldsmith, is to retire from Northern Ballet after 21 years with the Company. His farewell performance will be as Captain Hook in Northern Ballet’s Peter Pan on Sunday 14 December at Leeds Grand Theatre

Darren joined Northern Ballet in 1993 after training at The Royal Ballet School. Then under the directorship of Christopher Gable CBE, Darren worked his way up the ranks and was promoted to Premier Dancer in 2009 by Northern Ballet’s current Artistic Director, David Nixon OBE. He has performed many leading roles during his career, including Scrooge in A Christmas Carol, Tybalt and Romeo in Romeo & Juliet, Pinkerton in Madame Butterfly and Claudius in Hamlet along with many others. He also worked with Gillian Lynne DBE to recreate the role of LS Lowry in her ballet A Simple Man for a Channel 4 documentary. Darren’s met his wife, Northern Ballet’s Soloist Victoria Sibson, at the Company and the couple welcomed a son in April 2014.

David Nixon OBE said: ‘Darren is a versatile dancer and an excellent partner but, for me, it was his unique ability to make the correct choices during a performance and act with clarity and precision, defining his roles with his interpretation. My most memorable moments are his powerful creation of Claudius in Hamlet, his sweet and humorous interpretation of Bottom in A Midsummer Night’s Dream and his performances opposite Chiaki Nagao in Madame Butterfly

On behalf of Northern Ballet I wish to thank Darren for the many years on and off stage, the laughter, the tears, even the difficult times, as they form who and what we are. It is my hope that this is not an end for Darren but a new beginning.’

Darren Goldsmith said: ‘Over my career I have been fortunate to work under three Artistic Directors, all of whom have inspired me and shaped me into the performer that I am. Every show has been its own experience and I have been blessed with some amazing roles. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me throughout my career but especially the Company because one person by themselves cannot make a show and the support you need when you’re taking the lead can only come from them. I hope I have supported them as well as they did me.’

Darren’s farewell performance as Captain Hook in Peter Pan will take place at Leeds Grand Theatre on Sunday 14 December. Northern Ballet will perform Peter Pan at Leeds Grand Theatre from 11 – 20 December 2014, tickets for all performances can be booked atleedsgrandtheatre.com or by calling 0844 848 2700.

• Like 1

On a personal note, Darren has long been one of my favourite dancers.  As well as the roles listed above, he was an outstanding Wadjet in Cleopatra as well as a truly awesome Dracula in Michael Pink's production.

One of my favourite memories of Darren is him performing Benvolio during a magical few days in Istanbul,  The performances were in an outdoor, modern, amphitheatre.  At the "curtain calls" at the end of each performance Darren's glorious smile lit up the whole skyline!

I would also like to thank Darren for all the support he has given to Friends during his time with the Company.

Darren will be sorely missed on stage and I would like to send him my very best wishes for the future.  I do hope we will still see him!  And yes, I've got my ticket booked for 14th December.

All best wishes to Darren for the future.I have been fortunate enough to see him dance on many occasions and it was always a pleasure to watch him perform.I think my favourite memory of Darren will always be his wonderful interpretation of Scrooge in A Christmas Carol.

• Like 1