Ratmansky speaks ...

I realise there are a goodly many on this Forum who dislike Ratmansky intensely (as has been clearly voiced hereabouts for some time*) but whatever else he may or may not be to you he is internationally certainly hailed as one of if not THE most noted choreographer of our current age.  

One of the great boons I, myself, profited by when I was privileged to be able to work in NYC during the end of the so-called dance boom were the free educational programmes open to all sponsored not only by NYCB (Kirstein knew these were key if they were to build an audience who would be able to grow with new works celebrating the ever necessary future) and the New York Public Library.  The latter continues in offering these programs for FREE and so ..

October 8, 2014, 7 pm — 9 pm
Alexei Ratmansky in Conversation with Paul Holdengräber

Co-presented by the Center for Ballet and the Arts at New York University, the New York Public Library hosts Alexei Ratmansky, in conversation with Paul Holdengräber, to speak about his life’s work performing and choreographing for some of the world’s greatest ballet companies, including the American Ballet Theatre, New York City Ballet, and the Bolshoi Ballet.

Video Recording:
http://media.nypl.or...8_Ratmansky.mp4

*Bruce Marriott made an astute and - as ever - well written point on another page about the dangers of 'over praising' without stated reason.  I agree.  However, what I, myself, find even more disturbing are those who dismiss out of hand without giving reason as to why.  To my mind (and I realise I may be far off many other people's mark) that is not simply unfair but downright cruel.  As my mother, herself a high court judge, used to say - in either regard - 'If you can't give a reason why it is better to say nothing.'  I find as I continue to grow older much value in her wisdom. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I realise there are a goodly many on this Forum who dislike Ratmansky intensely (as has been clearly voiced hereabouts for some time*) but whatever else he may or may not be to you he is internationally certainly hailed as one of if not THE most noted choreographer of our current age.  

Although the first half of this sentence, Bruce Wall, sounds apologetic the second half speaks the truth. I think it is difficult to name other currently active choreographer who already created ballets for and continues being invited by so many formost ballet companies: Bolshoi Ballet, Mariinsky Ballet, Paris Opera, Royal Ballet (London), American Ballet Theatre, New York City Ballet, Royal Danish Ballet, National Ballet of Canada, San Francisco Ballet, La Scala… While a part of the works he produced are full-length ballets based on solid classical foundation he is equally strong with doing modern works. And he is still 46.

• Like 1