Don't children (teenagers) surprise you?

Katymac

Exam rehearsal was booked before show rehearsal - so she can't do the show :(

She is sad, but she made the decision, the exam is more important, was booked first and she wants to do well.

The exam teacher has moved the exam so DD didn't miss it (because of the other class), moved the rehearsals so they don't clash with the other dance class.; so DD feels it's unfair to ask her to move the rehearsal again

I am proud of her - I think it's the right decision (but also sad about the show)

• Like 7

I would actually ask the exam teacher to move the rehearsal even if it seems a cheek. She has shown herself to be very sympathetic and has tried to compromise for your daughter. I would actually be upset if after all that it didn't work out.

I'll tell you what happened with our exams. Three girls who are together in the same High School dance stream came to me horrified that on the day of their RAD Intermediate exam, they had a serious maths exam. I contacted our local organiser and she gave me permission to change our exam groups around. I moved the three other girls into their exam slot and moved them to a later date. All was sorted - or so I thought. The high school dance stream performance was that same week and the Principal told them that they needed to be in rehearsal at the time of their ballet exam and she couldn't release them because it was a lighting rehearsal. I had to move their exam yet again and wouldn't you know it, the maths exam, which started the whole story, was postponed and moved to the new Inter exam date!!!! Luckily it didn't actually clash, but instead of coming in early and warming up carefully, they had to rush over from the exam and get ready in about 30 minutes. In the end they did the maths exam, the ballet exam and the dance stream performance successfully, in spite of everything. So yes, I would talk to the exam teacher again!

Edited by Dance*is*life

TBH the exam teacher has arranged a private lesson for DD so she can miss it; but for me the pride was in the automatic decision that the exam came first (it had been booked first) rather than "what can I do to get out of it" or "but I want to be in the show" delivered in a wail-y voice ;)

• Like 5

Her Ballet teacher is incredibly supportive of other dance classes and styles of dance.  She says she (Teacher) would have got through loads more auditions if she could have done Ballroom or Salsa or Flamenco or any of the miriad of styles DD does workshops in.

She has just spent 5 days taking photos/choreographing and videoing steps/routines so DD can apply for associate courses in September.

DD & I can't say how much we appreciate her or how lucky we feel tha the first Ballet school we phoned (in 2011) was hers.  It's been amazing for DD & she is supportive for me

• Like 1