Turning down Dada's

Lala

To those who have been through the ups and down of recently auditions and the new dada scales system. Has anyone had to turn down places due to not being able to afford places under the new dada pay scales. If so, where/what have your children decided to do next.

I'm worried as this will be us next year and although my daughter is on an Mds at a vocational school. I fear the new dada system will be out of reach for us.

Guest Autumn days

Does your daughter want to pursue classical or musical theatre? I suspect that that will influence what options are open to her. I have no experience yet but will be in the same boat next year, although dd is not currently at a school.

DD didn't attend final auditions at the Dada institutions she successfully auditioned for - there was absolutely no way we could afford it.   She was fortunate in being offered places on a couple of courses with student finance available - one wasn't for her, the other she loved and can' t wait to start.  DD thankfully chose a range of courses, with regard to funding, when deciding where to apply - which gave her this option.  I know this wasn't the case for all.

edited to add - this was for classical ballet courses.

Edited by Millie3
  • Like 3

We did go to all the finals even though we were just over the threshold for DaDA funding and knew we couldn't afford full fees and maintenance.

In the end we were lucky in that the school was able to offer a small bursary, grandparents chipped in and we are saving on the maintenance because some very kind friends in London have offered to put DD up for free. It is a real hotchpotch and not the best solution and will need evaluating after the first year. To be honest the stress has been unbelievable, but we were too far gone down the audition route when we knew what a nightmare the funding was, to have pulled out just before finals.

If I were coming into it cold this year, I don't know what I would do. The only thing I would say is that I am aware of a few students getting bursaries but people are obviously being asked to keep quiet so I don't know how much people have been able to get. Ours wasn't enough to make it affordable but combined with everything else, it did help quite a bit.

• Like 9

I'm so pleased your DD has got a place Ribbons. You were so instrumental in providing information, supporting others and discussing the issues openly and constructively in the DADAs 2013 thread. A big help to those of us heading down that road in the next couple of years. Best wishes and lots of luck for your DD and finances (-:

• Like 10