How far do people travel for LVS on daily basis?

Jane156

Interested in applying for LVS for next year but it’s about a 1-2hr train journey each way. I think that’s too tiring on top of being at school each day but wondered what the norm was. 

Hello,

there does not seem to be much of a norm. For us initially my child and I got caught up in the excitement of it all, until I realised this is a marathon not a sprint, and a balanced life with all its component parts is key to a healthy happy child. 

I used to drive my child to vocational ballet training in London 5 days a week. 2 hrs each way. My child was Home Educated and it was absolutely exhausting for me as well as them. Exciting at first but after a while it was just too much. 

we managed a year and threw in the towel, it just was not sustainable for either of us long term. I found I was more exhausted than they were. 

I can only imagine how hard it would be with a full school day thrown in. My child is now in full time residential training, days are long and challenging but minus the travel.

we found travel to associate programs at weekends RBS and Ballet Boost a breeze by comparison. They were a 2 hour journey each way.

knowing what I know now, if I could have found a local school with a teacher that is up to date on their training and development in ballet teaching and could offer a non-syllabus style approach alongside the standard RAD classes; with parking and a coffee shop nearby I would throw myself and my child at it and stay there until Upper School if they hadn’t lost interest by then😁

your child might want it more than anything but we found that a healthy balance of fun, friends, school and dance makes for an all round better outcome for everyone long term 💗

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Chira said:

Hello,

there does not seem to be much of a norm. For us initially my child and I got caught up in the excitement of it all, until I realised this is a marathon not a sprint, and a balanced life with all its component parts is key to a healthy happy child. 

I used to drive my child to vocational ballet training in London 5 days a week. 2 hrs each way. My child was Home Educated and it was absolutely exhausting for me as well as them. Exciting at first but after a while it was just too much. 

we managed a year and threw in the towel, it just was not sustainable for either of us long term. I found I was more exhausted than they were. 

I can only imagine how hard it would be with a full school day thrown in. My child is now in full time residential training, days are long and challenging but minus the travel.

we found travel to associate programs at weekends RBS and Ballet Boost a breeze by comparison. They were a 2 hour journey each way.

knowing what I know now, if I could have found a local school with a teacher that is up to date on their training and development in ballet teaching and could offer a non-syllabus style approach alongside the standard RAD classes; with parking and a coffee shop nearby I would throw myself and my child at it and stay there until Upper School if they hadn’t lost interest by then😁

your child might want it more than anything but we found that a healthy balance of fun, friends, school and dance makes for an all round better outcome for everyone long term 💗

Excellent advice.

As parents we do tend to get swept up in the excitement and opportunity. 
But being realistic about what is achievable and in our children’s best interest long term is essential. Even if that means saying no. 
In our experience, lower schools aren’t necessary. 

• Like 6

I know children who travel in from quite a distance, South Coast for example. My own dd has 1 hour journey door to door, shes done it for 5 years quite happily no issues, they all become very streetwise and self sufficient.  There are some homestay options, but this does vary each year and cant be guaranteed, best to talk to them about how that works. Happy to answer any questions about the school.

1 hour ago, Chira said:

Hello,

Thank you as that’s exactly how I feel. Can I ask where your child is at for school and how they are finding it? I don’t want my child to board but equally they are finding juggling secondary school and local dance plus weekend associates too tiring so trying to work out best option, academically as well as dancing wise 

3 hours ago, Jane156 said:

Thank you as that’s exactly how I feel. Can I ask where your child is at for school and how they are finding it? I don’t want my child to board but equally they are finding juggling secondary school and local dance plus weekend associates too tiring so trying to work out best option, academically as well as dancing wise 

I won’t say where my child is training because I want as much anonymity for them as possible.

They are at one of the main vocational ballet schools.

They auditioned successfully for Y9. I did not want them boarding any earlier because than this. If I could have found a local alternative I would have left it until Upper School. 
Boarding full-time for vocational training (and this is my own personal opinion) with hindsight is not great, but….my child loved ballet ALOT. Having everything in one place has worked well for them, however it is not easy, but waaay easier than what went before with travelling and hunting down good quality training.

Would your child like to board, what age are they? 

• Sim locked this topic

As per the post above, unfortunately we cannot for the moment allow much talk about LVS here.  We are therefore locking this thread for now.  Please have any further discussions about this school privately as this is a public forum.

Many thanks.

• Thanks 3