Does anyone have experience of medici.tv for ballet?

Medici.tv have a half price subscription offer and I was wondering about it as a suitable Christmas present. Does anyone have experience of having a subscription and if so would you recommend it as a good source for ballet on TV? Do they add lots of new stuff over time? Do they have a wide variety? I'm not really enough of a 'watcher' to judge their content and it would be a preset for my DS who is a professional dancer.

Many thanks for any views...

I've never actually subscribed to it (nor to any other streaming service- I don't even do Netflix) but their offerings look very comprehensive (many different ballet companies) and they cover other performing arts besides ballet and dance, eg opera, orchestral music, etc, so I reckon they are worth trying out. 

Edited by Emeralds

I have a monthly subscription. which I took out in the summer so that I could watch a particular programme - I don't really get my money's worth from them but I could cancel any time so it's my own fault.

I use it mostly to watch the same things over and over but there is quite a lot of dance on there. from many different companies, although they don't add nearly as much new programming  as they do opera and classical music, and I should think your daughter would almost certainly find plenty to interest her.

(Though she will miss their next offering, the premiere of Ratmansky's Coppelia from La Scala. which is next Sunday but  I think is a one-off showing.)

Edited by Jane S
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Ratmansky's Coppelia from La Scala

This upcoming event is reserved for our subscribers. Get 50% off your subscription to watch it when it airs!

Could be worth a punt!

https://www.medici.tv/en/ballets/coppelia-delibes-alexei-ratmansky-la-scala-world-premiere

https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/47821-ratmansky-coppelia-for-la-scala/

I used it to watch the livestream of Fonteyn comp & it constantly froze or buffered so I missed big chunks - very stop/start. I was only watching on the ‘free to view’ basis not subscribed (so that might have meant I got inferior service) but it made me wary to use again & even more wary to pay…. 

• Thanks 1

I had the same experience as Peanut for the Fontyn, and I did actually subscribe.

i didn’t continue after the trial period as the buffering was just annoying.

I’m currently subscribed to the ROH stream, but I really don’t get my money’s worth on that either.

Buffering issues are not the fault of any streaming service.  Unless one wishes to rebuke them for delivering a high quality better picture product!  

Buffering is usually due to the speed of your wifi service.  These streams are high quality which requires more download speed.   (I.e. your service can’t download the data fast enough while you watch).  

It is an indication of the higher quality of the Medici output. 

I had no buffering issues with the Fonteyn and Prix De Lausanne programmes.  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

A price for rural living! 

I don't subscribe regularly to any of the streaming services though I had no problems when the ROH was streaming during the pandemic, and tend to switch YouTube off HD as it eats through my monthly broadband (def not unlimited) allowance. Like you I'm rural broadband and not got mega speed, so, I think if I'm going to subscribe I'll do a trial month at first!

• Like 1

I just subscribed myself when I saw this offer - early Xmas present to myself!  So far have only watched one thing, but no issues so far.  The number of full length ballets by a variety big name companies worldwide is impressive, including many full-length productions no one seems to perform much anymore here in the US (Raymonda, Paquita, La Bayadere, Le Corsaire). Seems worth a try in my book. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the advice- I've decided to go ahead and subscribe - he and his GF (both dancers) do like analysing performances (and may be particularly interested in some of the older archive footage) so I think it will be good- anyway I will try and remember to report back!

• Like 1