Insights: The legacy of Nijinska ROH Livestream Nov 18 2023

I thought I'd 'flag up'  🚩with its own post the fact this is being livestreamed by the ROH on Saturday November 18th at 12 pm (ie noon) which is something to look forward to in the depths of November!  Put it in your diary.

At least we will all be able to watch in the comfort of our armchairs (I know some of you will have tickets for the Clore Studio and look forward to hearing about how you enjoyed it, but it's a long way for many of us) and presumably it will remain on the ROH channel for posterity.

Description of what to expect:

https://www.gramilano.com/2023/09/the-royal-ballet-bronislava-nijinska/

Insights: The legacy of Nijinska

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

I see that it says on the website that 'Part of this insight event will be livestreamed on our Youtube channel from 12noon – 2pm. It will also be available to watch on Royal Opera House Stream.' So the whole event won't be on YouTube.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

So that's the paid for site? Hmmm.

It isn’t clear if all of it will be available to stream or just the part also being broadcast on YouTube. 
That said, it’s perhaps a good business model for ROH to consider going forwards of only broadcasting any Insight initially via its streaming service for a ‘premium’ period of, say a month, to reward subscribers to its paid streaming service. It could then be put on YouTube for general viewing at a later date. 

29 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Trying to decide whether to attend this or not? After ENB’s recent Les Noces I’m a tad squeamish. 

Totally unknown to me. Is Njinska’s choreography akin to Nijinsky? A forerunner of Ashton? Of MacMillan? Or McGregor even? 
Any feedback welcomed.

Thanks

I'd say Nijinska's choreography for Les Noces is classical but not in the show-off fouettes and grand jetes kind of way. Always a bit inadequate for me to attempt to compare as it's not exact but I'd say a cross between De Valois (if you have seen her Checkmate or Rake's Progress) and early Ashton. Very classica, with pointe work and mime. A bit serious and angsty (for that time). Nothing like MacMillan or McGregor.

There are a couple of videos of Nijinska's Les Noces on YouTube. NB not a joyous wedding like Kitri's or Aurora's! (Actually Mats Ek's Rite of Spring for ENB was - ironically- very close to Nijinska's Noces). Her Les Biches is also brilliant.... very classical but more lighthearted than Noces, and seems very modern now and in tune with today, despite its 1920s setting. Zenaida Yanowsky and Viviana Durante were brilliant in it (different casts!) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Is Njinska’s choreography akin to Nijinsky? A forerunner of Ashton? Of MacMillan? Or McGregor even? 
Any feedback welcomed

Nijinska was a big influence on Ashton in his early years as a dancer & choreographer

http://www.frederickashton.org.uk/biog.html

https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/27506-cecchetti-ashton-and-the-royal-ballet/

• Thanks 2

A prize for anyone who can tell us accurately if Nijinska's original version of Les Noces will be a company première for Ballett Zürich? The programme notes on the company website seem to imply that it is - which makes it a very appealing prospect for their audience. The other two works on the programme are new creations by Australian contemporary dance choreographer Meryl Tankard and Ballet Black's very own star Mthuthuzeli November- how exciting! That's a refreshing way to programme Noces.

• Like 1